Does it seem like Hollywood lies about weight loss?

mute
on 7/7/15 10:20 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm torn on this. My close friends I've updated on my weight loss occasionally but a few people have asked and I keep thinking when I get to 100 do I want to say anything? Because I gave myself a goal of 202 pounds to lose. If I make that goal I know I won't ever say well now I weight 175 pounds. But even if I don't say that I don't want anyone looking at me and thinking **** she's still not small and she had 200 extra pounds on her?? DAMN! 

sor09
on 7/7/15 7:17 pm

I can identify that a lot these days. This guy got the surgery at my job, and he looked great really fast. Then it was my turn and I studied long and hard, and worked for it. YTD, I am below goal and he has regained. I get the looks and wear extras so to not attract those that categorized me as "the fat lady" and "Oh she's only like that because of surgery...." NOT! Skinny jeans and short sleeves to show my gams!

TempiB
on 7/8/15 12:02 am, edited 7/8/15 12:03 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

I don't hide anything about my weight.  I decided from day one to be very transparent about the whole thing so I just put it out there.  I figure people are going to judge regardless and I would rather be honest than to have to hedge around questions.  So when someone asks me how much I've lost I tell them proudly.  When their jaw hits the floor and the say the can't believe I have lost that much or that I weighed that much I tell them straight up what I weighed at the beginning.  My favorite is when they ask if I am done losing and I tell them no I have 25-30 pounds to go and they ask where it's going to come from because I'm so small now.  I remind them of where I started and where I am now and that they just aren't used to seeing me skinny.  I just feel that if I am the one talking about it then it cuts out the speculation and hopefully at least keeps the truth out there instead of everyone else's opinions as the truth.  Besides, I'm not ashamed of where I was or where I am now or the fact that I chose WLS to get here.  I also feel that if my honesty makes it easier for obese friends and family to approach me to learn more about their options, then I think that is great and I'm happy to share my experience. 

HW:303   SW:297

mute
on 7/7/15 10:17 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Yeah I don't feel comfortable even mentioning to my DH what my beginning weight was. And obviously he loves me. And he knows how much I'm losing and everything, but I hate just the idea of him knowing the actual number. HATE IT. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Hislady
on 7/6/15 2:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

Oh yeah Kirstie Alley is the queen of this remember her from Cheers? We are the same height and have been the same weights  but yet didn't look at all the same at supposedly the same weights. She'd say she lost 50lbs but yet I'd have to look closer to 100lbs to look the same as she did. You'd think they'd want credit for all the weight they lost but no then they would have to admit they were more than they had said they were in the beginning. As for fat advocates, well they all start that way then the Hollywood machinery gets them and they have to lose weight or lose roles so they diet down to starvation or get weight loss surgery undercover. There have been several people who started out being fat advocates but then give in to the machine and have to lose it. Does Roseanne Barr or Sara LaRue (?) ring a bell. It happens every time. Hollywood will win, can't have no fat folks within the city limits I guess!

AmyDee123
on 7/6/15 2:06 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Ugh her's was the worst.  Especially when the celebrities are doing jenny craig or nutrisystem!  WHY NOT TELL THE TRUTH?!  Its helpful!  It shows your stuff works!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

JoeyJo
on 7/6/15 2:02 pm - NJ

I remember when Kirsty Alley was saying how much she weighed, what size(s) she was, etc., I remember thinking that she was lying.

crystal M.
on 7/6/15 7:02 pm - Joliet, IL

I see that kind of thing all of the time.  But it's usually because of height.  The person is 5 feet tall and it makes quite a difference. 

Recently, I have been losing weight again.  Since April I lost 17 lbs....but you can't tell at all.  I am not just saying that.  But I am 5'9 and it takes a lot of weight before anyone will notice I am losing.  It can be a little frustrating.  I understand the physics of this and so do most logical people.  The ones that don't understand...well I don't bother to explain. 

Keeks911
on 7/7/15 2:41 pm - SALEM, OR

Another sad part to this is when or if she gains it back. You can bet it won't be "50 pounds" then. It will be reported as much more.

sor09
on 7/7/15 7:09 pm

Hollywood is never ever going to a place to find the truth about weight loss and what it took to look like that. We are, and more of us have tried to achieve what they advertise. Chef's personal, trainers, 24/7 everything, cosmetic surgeons for every part of their body, doctors with special shots and pills, personal assistants, dressers, shoppers and need I say more. My friend says people will really only notice if I lost 50 pounds... I was sad to hear it... ok, I got over it. Yes mythical Hollywood. The normal of it all WLS is not an instant fix, it requires daily detailed managing the physical and metal issues that cause obesity.  And life like ours usually don't have extended super long vacations when ever for getting camera pretty. You are fine and you are unique and that's wonderful. You are worth it!