Scared...surgery in 4 days

Farmgirl2013
on 7/6/15 8:55 am - Grand marais, MN

Well it wasn't meant to be, they want me to wait another 3 months cause I tested positive for nicotine cause I smoked when I went out with friends before I was tested. I'm losing my insurance so it's all over. It's been a horrible experience at ESSENTIA HEALTH in Duluth, MN AND they've made me feel like a worthless piece of **** so to hell with them all and I'll just stay on this liquid diet until the weight comes off!! My friends and family got their wish! I've starved once, I can do it again!!

Nic M
on 7/6/15 9:30 am

Why would you smoke if you were scheduled to have surgery?

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

chris_ruff
on 7/6/15 10:18 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

can you explain that you are losing your insurance and ask for another nicotine test? if it was just a one time thing? unless of course you are a regular smoker then you should definitely not have surgery because the complication risk is too great. so quit smoking ASAP. 

it may feel like its all over but it isn't you may be losing this insurance but there are others. hang in there.

--Christina
Farmgirl2013
on 7/6/15 1:07 pm - Grand marais, MN

I was on social security and so I had Medicare but I lost my appeal and I just don't wanna fight for it. My vit D was 13, my calcium and potassium were low and causing heart issues and i didn't know any of it until last week. It was causing me to feel like **** and not be able to exercise-been going on a while apparently. I thought surgery was my only option. Now that my D is coming up, I feel better! As far as the smoking, if I want to have a cig now and again, I'm gonna, if that's a deal breaker-whatever! I just went and walked/ran 4 miles-first time in years. I'm gonna do it without the surgery!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/6/15 10:36 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Here are 2 websites that helped me understand the long term commitments to my health that I was making by having the surgery.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZcUtdgt3fs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yx97Ul2OV4

(This doctor was not my surgeon, but his information is essentially the same as my surgeon and I feel this doctor presents a realistic view of the long term.  Only 3-5% of people keep their weight off without surgery, but with WLS 55% of people lose and keep off 55% of the Excess Body Weight after 3 years)

I too was somewhat hyperventilating the few days before surgery and even while being shuttled about the hospital the morning of surgery to get more blood work to verify my blood type and trying to produce for a urine test (for a state mandated pregnancy test - I was 57 1/2 and you have to have one if you are under 58).   But on the morning of surgery when all the bureaucracy was over and I was on the gurney in the pre-op room and I finally felt the relaxation from the first dose of anesthesia take affect - I looked up and saw a clock and said to myself 7:42 that is my new lucky number.  

I have had some difficulties and struggles, (and I expect there will be more), but this was a decision I needed to have made for my health.  I did update my will and all of those things, so I acknowledged that this was a serious undertaking.  For me, I also felt that if I didn't have the WLS that I would be having knee replacement surgery sooner rather than later and that WLS has a much easier recovery than knee replacement.

I hope this helps you sort through you feelings and determine if you have pre-surgery jitters, or if you need to rethink your decision.  No one can determine that except you.

Support from one who has been in your situation,

Sharon