5 weeks post op NEED HELP!!

shelystar
on 6/26/15 7:00 am

I had a lap band to sleeve conversion on 5/20/2015 to date I have lost 21lbs. I have been the same weight for 3 weeks. I know not to compare myself to others and I know it could be a stall. But I am at a loss. I do have a thyroid problem and on a very high dose already. I walk 30min at least daily. I have a protein shake for breakfast, 4 oz of tuna/chicken at lunch, 4 oz of protein at dinner w/1 oz veggie and a protein shake before bed. I am getting in 34-50 oz of water. I am not sure if I am not eating enough or too much. I have called my dietician and have not really given anymore advise other then possibly to eat more. I have found if I eat more I gain. Feeling like this was a mistake. I have a friend who had surgery a week behind me and she is double my weight loss. Any positive help would be appreciated. 

The Salty Hag
on 6/26/15 8:42 am
RNY on 05/20/13
On June 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM Pacific Time, shelystar wrote:

I had a lap band to sleeve conversion on 5/20/2015 to date I have lost 21lbs. I have been the same weight for 3 weeks. I know not to compare myself to others and I know it could be a stall. But I am at a loss. I do have a thyroid problem and on a very high dose already. I walk 30min at least daily. I have a protein shake for breakfast, 4 oz of tuna/chicken at lunch, 4 oz of protein at dinner w/1 oz veggie and a protein shake before bed. I am getting in 34-50 oz of water. I am not sure if I am not eating enough or too much. I have called my dietician and have not really given anymore advise other then possibly to eat more. I have found if I eat more I gain. Feeling like this was a mistake. I have a friend who had surgery a week behind me and she is double my weight loss. Any positive help would be appreciated. 

That's 21 lbs in just over a month...that's great. Plateaus happen, just keep doing what you are doing. Your menu looks okay to me. Please drink more water though...we need at least 64 oz of fluids a day. Do you coun****er only, or do you count other beverages as well? I count it all...water, tea, coffee, protein shakes, vodka... ( kidding on that last one! ).

Keep in mind that weight loss varies greatly...and being a revision...you will lose more slowly. Your friend may also have more to lose than you do, so take that into account. Have you taken your measurements? You could be losing inches even if the scale isn't showing a loss. 

Keep plugging away...you are doing well even if it doesn't seem like it at this moment. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

shelystar
on 6/26/15 8:54 am

Thanks for the reply and the support. I was not counting my protein shakes so getting about 56oz. My friend is smaller unfortunately. I did take my measurements at the 1 month mark and was down 16 inches total. Just wanted to see if I should be eating less/more or more exercise. I try to not compare myself but it is hard. 

Gina 22 years out
on 6/26/15 2:37 pm - Burleson, TX

AUDREY---do you mean to me I CANNOT count my vodka toward my fluid count, anymore ?????

What about wine? Is it a fruit?

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Tracy D.
on 6/26/15 9:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

More water, more water, more water!  35-50 oz. isn't close to enough.  You need a minimum of 64 oz. and if you're exercising it should be closer to 80 oz.  And don't include your protein shakes in this amount.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

crystal M.
on 6/26/15 9:47 am - Joliet, IL

One of the posters makes a great point.  You should keep track of your measurements.  I used to take my measurements at the 1st of every month.  I tracked my bust, waist, hips and thigh measurements.  It's good to see how many inches you are losing and even if you're not losing weight, you may still be losing inches. 

I think I have lost a total of 3 1/2 feet if you add it all up. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/26/15 10:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Search the boards for "three week stall." This is totally normal.

Don't compare yourself to others. We all lose at different rates, since we have different amounts to lose, body composition, etc. You're doing fine!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

N M.
on 6/26/15 10:32 am

21 lbs is a lot! I've lost 24 so far and I'm 3 months post op, but I started off as 201. 5 weeks post op I was still on soft stage ate cottage cheese and yogurt for protein, I could not tolerate eggs, may I ask what veggies you're eating, I started veggies a week ago.

shelystar
on 6/26/15 10:47 am

Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions. I will try to increase my water and see if that helps. When I was 4 weeks out I was able to eat regular food, so I typically eat broccoli, cauliflower steamed and very soft. I have had green beans, peas etc. I usually weigh out 1 oz and after my meat I usually will not finish the veggie. I am super excited about the 21b loss, was not able to do that pre surgery, everyones comments have def. made me feel better about it.

Catherine-Mo
on 6/26/15 1:37 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I had RNY on 5/18 and am at a 3 week stall, as well.   It is frustrating but you are not alone.  All we can do is keep eating healthy and exercising.   It sounds like you are doing the right things so give yourself grace.   21 pounds lost is awesome!!