Scared and nervous (yes, another hair question)

Dreamy74
on 6/24/15 7:46 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi marlene I am 4 months and 3 weeks out from RNY.  My hair loss started at about the 4 month mark.  I now have a pixie cut that I got last week, and I love it.  It's less depressing seeing just bits of hair in the sink as opposed to long locks.  I just started a biotin supplement - I have heard from some here on OH that it helps and others that it doesn't.  Good luck!

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

marlene52414
on 6/24/15 8:31 am

Thank you ladies, all your responses are so helpful. :)

rezilliance
on 6/25/15 4:08 pm
VSG on 06/03/14

I had problems with hair-loss as well. It started about 2 or 3 months post-op and lasted about 3 months. I lost about 40% of my hair I'd say. It is very shocking and disheartening. Like many other people posting, I decided to go shorter and found a master stylist who was able to give me a cut that enhances the volume of my hair as it grows back in.

The good news: it does grow back

Unfortunately this is one of the down-sides to WLS that many people experience. It was a big one for me because my hair is one of my favorite things about my appearance. When I set my silly ego and vanity aside and focused on all the benefits and positive things that are happening in my life now, it became very clear to me that the good far outweighs the bad. :)

My surgeon told me it's actually zinc deficiency that causes the hair loss. Once I learned this I started to incorporate more zinc-rich foods into my diet. Oysters and liver are the best source of dietary zinc. Within a month my hair-loss stopped.

Hope that helps a bit... it does suck, but hang in there! ♥

Age: 38 | Height: 5'5.5" | Surgery Date: June 3, 2014 | VSG | HW: 380 | SW: 340 | CW: 237 | GW: 168