Scared and nervous (yes, another hair question)

marlene52414
on 6/23/15 9:14 am

Hi Everyone,

i guess is this a question for diabetics or people that were diabetic.

i would have posted this question in the diabetic forum but seems that no one is there anymore.

***so I've been loosing A LOT of hair due to insulin, I mean it's seriously depressing. I know that hair loss is going to happen after surgery but I'M terrified that I wont have any hair left.*** has this ever happen to any of you?

what did you do?

did you cut your hair before surgery?

did you take vitamins before surgery?, did it help?

sorry for all the questions. I'm desperate.

thank you for those that take the time to answer my questions. :)

Tracy D.
on 6/23/15 11:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Marlene - I wasn't an insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetic but I had very fine, thinning hair prior to surgery.  I'd never heard that insulin thins out the hair - interesting.

Unfortunately, I was one of the few people that lost a LOT of hair post-op (months 5-8 were the worst).  My hair guy says I lost half of it.  At 2 years post-op I have it all back - it wasn't fantastic before but at least it's as good as it was before surgery.  

I tried taking extra biotin and other vitamins and supplements ahead of time - save your money.  Not gonna help.  I didn't cut my hair before surgery either.  

If it starts getting real thin then get it colored (plumps it up) and get a spiky, shorter 'do.  That helps too!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

marlene52414
on 6/23/15 12:02 pm

thank you for your reply Tracy.

at the rate I'm going- I'm scared to even color it. 

thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/15 11:40 am

not sure other people.. . but I am 7 years post op RNy and I have a LOT of hair now. I just had my hair cut and we decided to cut it shorter and layer more because it takes too long for me to style it..and I end up with a really "southern head of hair... " (lots of hair) 

And I do color my hair...and use hair dryer and curling iron..

and this is the style I end up now.. cute.. very similar..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

marlene52414
on 6/23/15 12:03 pm

IT'S a super cute haircut. :)

thank you for your reply.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/23/15 12:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Not diabetic, but I did lose a lot of hair!

I had a very short haircut prior to surgery, but for the first year or so post-op I kept it in a short pixie as it grew back. There were some thin spots, but I had good luck with hair-thickening fiber powder (check Sally Beauty), and sometimes I'd just poof some brown eyeshadow onto my scalp so it wasn't so obvious!

I started growing things back out at a year post-op, and I'd say my hair is pretty much back to normal (and long enough to call a bob) after about six months.

Your hair loss is going to be from the shock of surgery and the major changes to your body during weight loss. Vitamins and shampoo can't change that, so hang onto your money!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

marlene52414
on 6/23/15 12:11 pm

Thanks Julie. I might try the eye shadow tip for my front sides.

Valerie G.
on 6/27/15 8:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I admire your cleverness with the brown eye shadow.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hislady
on 6/23/15 4:27 pm - Vancouver, WA

Don't forget wigs and hair pieces!! They are very comfortable and inexpensive these days. I wear them just because they are fun and I can change it up just by changing styles and colors! I usually use Paula Young but I'm sure if you google wigs you'll find losts of places to get them. Then you don't have a thing to worry about!

NikkyBeauty
on 6/23/15 10:34 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I second what the above poster said! Not diabetic but my hair has thinned so bad but weaves have saved my life!  I don't even notice the hair loss until I have to get my hair done again and it's a sad sad situation! But I have this funky blazing red hair right  now and it's awesome I'm thinking blue next! Extensions  are so much fun!! Now the good realistic stuff is gonna cost ya! But there are all kinds of inexpensive options to play around with! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175