help.

kellyhardin
on 6/23/15 1:30 am - Walla Walla , WA

I have recently started looking into bariatric surgery.

How do I start the process with a surgeon?

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/23/15 5:19 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Most of them make you go to an orientation first. Call the office you want to work with and schedule your self for the next one they have. Actually before that make sure it is covered by your insurance and see what you need to do to get approved.

crystal M.
on 6/23/15 8:39 am - Joliet, IL

It can seem very overwhelming but once you pick out your surgeon (one that is covered by your insurance).  They pretty much walk you through the whole process.  They let you know what you need to do.  They will explain the surgeries to you and you and your surgeon can decide what is best for you.  They will explain the new life style you will be adopting.  Ask lots of questions.  It your job to ask them anything you are not sure of.  A good WLS center will be all encompassing...meaning they will teach you what your surgery will entail, what is expected of you before and after surgery, what diet you will be following.  And most importantly have good after care.  Most of them have meetings you can go to...to help deal with issues in WLS, food, exercise.  Mine even had a nutritionist and exercise physiologist and onsite fitness center. 

You just have to call your insurance and find out what surgeons are covered in your area.  Then call them up.  See how easy that is.  The rest just take a step at a time. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/23/15 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
  1. Call your insurance company (or check online) to see which doctors are in your network.

2. Find the website for the doctor(s), many of them have FAQ's and information on regular info seminars. (For example, here's the seminar that my doctor offers.)

3. Sign up online, or call the office and see if you can register.

4. Go to the seminar, ask questions, and take notes. If you like the doctor and want to go ahead, call the office to set up an appointment for a "one on one" initial appointment. You may even be able to set up a first appointment at the seminar!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!