RnY vs. Duodenal Switch

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/25/15 1:05 pm - OH

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head.  If someone could tell us for certain that our body would react EXACTLY this way to surgery A and EXACTLY another way to surgery B, making the decision would be SO much easier! I think the decision is especially difficult between RNY and DS.

What Ms Batt said is correct that both RNYers and DSers can have horrible gas (in both cases it is usually, but not always, the result of too many "white" carbs). I don't know of anyone who is beyond the first few weeks out from RNY, though, who has problems with diarrhea (unless they eat a boat load of fat)! Constipation is definitely "the" side effect of RNY... Morso that dumping, to be sure since so many people don't dump (or don't do it easily).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 6/27/15 8:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Loose bowels and flatulance is common for both, really.

I had my DS 9+ yrs ago and also work in a professional environment.  I can tell you that the effects are completely dependent on what I eat that day, so my rule is no new foods during work.

Stool is looser than before, but I go first thing in the morning and no more all day, so no interruption at the office.  Gas again is related to what I eat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

73mbh
on 6/29/15 9:11 am

thank you