Salad

helionoftroy
on 6/23/15 11:32 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

There was a photo session on America's Next Top Model where they were posing in a huge salad bowl and pouring olive oil all over themselves. Salad forever!! No salad for you OP! So say the vets! At least she's craving salad and not a cheeseburger.

Chilipepper
on 6/23/15 12:29 pm

You still don't get it.  You are 2 months postop and are standing high on your salad bowl. She would benefit MORE from that cheeseburger with no bread than eating YOUR salad. She would fill her little 2-4 oz pouch with protien and healthy fats that will keep her from getting constipated. You WILL fall short of your protien needs and will pay for it in the end.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Laura in Texas
on 6/23/15 12:42 pm

The "pay for it in the end" comment made me giggle. Salad gave me the runs in the beginning 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/15 3:29 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Go to any chain restaurant, like an Applebees, and you will see a minimum of three salads on every menu that are at LEAST 1400 calories. That's more than two quarter pounders with cheese. But people will defend salad as the healthy choice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

helionoftroy
on 6/24/15 5:24 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

What makes that salad so unhealthy? Is it the salad greens or is it the meets, cheeses, croutons, nuts, and salad dressing? And lets not forget the bacon bits, which in some cases are fake soy bacon flavored bits.

AmyDee123
on 6/24/15 6:24 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Salads are a toss up (hehehe) and should be a secondary choice.   Yes it's great that the op is craving something fresh. But very few salads are what most would deem "healthy".

1.  A bowl of ice burg is the most pointless, possibly dangerous,  waste of time.  It had no value and fills you up, possibly with consequences.   If a bowl of greens are needed anyone is better off going for dark dense green.  Spinach, parsley, kale, collards, etc.  If you are going to do it, do it. 

2. Dressings are full of sugar.   You can reduce it but for the most part you are taking a bowl of useless filet and coating it in sugar water.   Olive oil is good. And if it's peppery and infused you don't even need vinegar.   If you are putting creamy drains on your salad still you have missed the point of why you had wls.

3. All the other cap you put on a salad is high in carbs.   Tomatoes, carrots, peas, beans... all of these are really high in carbs.   Why waste the room you have?   Some crumbled blue cheese and some pecans are a good alternative. 

Don't think salad equals good.   99% of the time they're not.   And when you realize you are taking up space with that junk you'll get smart on how you do your salads. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

jazzycatz
on 6/23/15 7:54 pm - Joppa, MD

Actually I would say toss the bun and go ahead and try the cheeseburger if you aren't on soft foods or puree. At around 2.5 months out I could eat ground turkey. But I have heard of more people who can't so I think I was just lucky. At this stage you might get 2 bites in since it's so dense but enjoy!  I know I ate Wendy's chili at about 2 months out.

I even tackled beef jerky around 4 months out.

The OP is grown and can eat whatever they choose. It's just more of a big picture type of thing.  I say take advantage of every freaking day you can because one day there you are...maintenance.  And it's kinda hard.  And no, I don't think 1 salad a little early is going to blow it for them. Might make them really sick but that's all. But it's the first step down a slippery slope.

Chilipepper
on 6/23/15 7:13 pm
On June 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM Pacific Time, helionoftroy wrote:

There was a photo session on America's Next Top Model where they were posing in a huge salad bowl and pouring olive oil all over themselves. Salad forever!! No salad for you OP! So say the vets! At least she's craving salad and not a cheeseburger.

We all now realize you have aspirations of rolling around in a bowl of tomatoes and iceberg lettuce trying to get this body but sweetheart, your lettuce fetish won't get you here. Proteins will. Then you can pour olive oil all over yourself at that point also. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

helionoftroy
on 6/24/15 5:17 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

To imply that a salad will curtail my weight loss is ridiculous. I see that you are the one becoming obsessed about this to the point you had to search for this photo, just to make your point that I am wrong and you are right. We are not talking about a bowl of pasta, we are talking about a bowl of salad. I am 3 months out, not 2, and I'm allowed to have raw foods. I understand the OP's desire for a salad. I've been there. Maybe you forgot what it was like to be a newbie. I get all my protein in and enjoy an occasional salad. Your actions invalidate your expertise and make your statements unbelievable. 

Chilipepper
on 6/24/15 12:17 am

I had to search it because I don'****ch stupid crap like that.  Then when I saw the pic I laughed my a$$ off because this is so telling about YOU and your defense of the greens. You made it personal when you chimed in on my reply to the OP. Like I told you before, go enjoy your iceberg salad and the next time you want to sent nutritional stats on a head of lettuce, find someone else to share your long term knowledge with.