Some questions about some foods...

beckyp0320
on 6/22/15 8:49 am

Is sugar free cool whip OK??

Is sugar free ice cream OK?? 

Im sure there are more I haven't thought of but I want to know :)

NorthernHusky
on 6/22/15 8:58 am

sugar free doesn't mean calorie free.. if you are willing to give up those calories from the sugar free ice cream, go for it.. maybe mix in a spoonful of protein powder.. I used to do that with pudding or yogurt..

but ya, id stay clear lol u can eat a lot of ice cream, and there are a lot of carbs in it.

Gastric Bypass June 16th 2014

Highest weight: 356
Surgery weight: 347
Current Weight: 224
Goal Weight: 180

chris_ruff
on 6/22/15 9:06 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

in sugar free foods, real sugar is most often replaced by sugar alcohols. sugar alcohols are notorious for causing bloating and diarrhea. you can read more about sugar alcohols here

more importantly, sugar free foods are processed and full of chemicals. they can still be high in carbs, even without real sugar. if you want whipped cream, my suggestion would be to make it yourself by whipping heavy cream and adding a small amount of a natural sweetener (stevia, maple syrup, honey, etc). i find that whipped cream is delicious with no sweetener at all, and a dollop over some berries makes a nice dessert alternative.

as for ice cream, i would again suggest avoiding sugar free versions, mostly because they are gross and full of chemicals.this is getting into a debated area where some will tell you to avoid ice cream because sweets are not a part of healthy WLS eating, and others will tell you that in small amounts, and infrequently, its ok to have dessert/sweets. i'm not going to tell you what to do. only you can decide what's right for you. 

--Christina
rocky513
on 6/22/15 9:11 am - WI

Sugar free stuff contains sugar alcohols that could cause you to have diarrhea and stomach issues.  A very small amount might be OK, but why chance it.  They usually replace the sugars with other carbs and fats.  Check the labels.  They are NOT low calorie or low carb.    You could make protein "ice cream".  There are lots of good recipes on the world according to eggface site.  At least you would be getting protein.

Now is the time to change the relationship you have with food.  I caution people to not try to replace old favorites with questionably "healthy" alternatives.  Those alternative foods usually taste like crap and can trigger cravings for the real thing.  You need to relearn how to feed yourself and ice cream and cool whip probably would not be high on that list of foods to fuel your body.   Take this time to really analyze what you are eating and why.  Food is just fuel. nothing more.  It's not for celebrating, comforting, or relieving stress or boredom. You wouldn't put kerosene in your car. It would break down.  We need to put the right foods in our bodies to be healthy.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

WereYorkie
on 6/22/15 9:25 am
VSG on 05/11/15

Sugar Free Kool Whip is Frankenfood! Have you ever read the ingredients? Four different ways to label fake sugar. There is nothing natural about it....

........kind of like a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

beckyp0320
on 6/22/15 10:03 am

what is frankenfood? LOL Ive never heard of it? I was hoping it was okay b/c I like putting it on my strawberries.... it has 3g of carbs/serving and 20 calories....

ladygodiva1228
on 6/22/15 10:09 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, beckyp0320 wrote:

what is frankenfood? LOL Ive never heard of it? I was hoping it was okay b/c I like putting it on my strawberries.... it has 3g of carbs/serving and 20 calories....

If you really want something to put on your strawberries use Reddi Whip.  Made with real cream, no sugar, 1 carb.  reddi whip

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

beckyp0320
on 6/22/15 10:38 am

Thanks!

Jennifer K.
on 6/22/15 11:08 am - Phoenix , AZ

What you want to look at is calories, fat, carbs, fiber, sugar then decide if a food is ok.

Food is flavored by three things - fat, salt and sugar... if you remove/lower one, another one of those will be higher to make it taste better.

You can make your own whip cream very easily and it doesn't have a lot of sugar. When it comes to ice cream I prefer the real deal... just have to eat a small amount. Personally I try and eat "real" foods and not foods that have things I cannot pronounce. You can make a lot of things easily at home that are a whole lot more healthy than store bought, including ice cream :-)

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

MickeyDee
on 6/22/15 9:09 pm

If you're going for a substitute for ice cream, I use 0% fat Fage Greek yoghurt;  I add my favorite fruit (peaches, mandarin oranges, mango chunks, or blueberries, etc.) and stevia sweetner and have a great treat with high protein and only. naturally occurring sugars.

The suggestion for Reddiwhip is good. 

The important thing is for you to read labels and make your best decisions for your health.