Anyone else have to change their sleeping position after surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/15 9:57 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I've always been a stomach sleeper, but lately I can't lie that way for more than 20 mins or so without horrible back pain. I took a nap today after a long bike ride and woke up on my stomach in so much pain I could barely move! I'm guessing it's just because I don't have as much abdominal tissue to support my spine anymore. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a sleep tech by trade but have no idea how to get comfortable with a new sleep position when I've had the same go-to for 30 years. 

poplargreys
on 6/21/15 10:40 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I used to be a side sleeper, and now I fall asleep better on my back. I still wake up on my side most mornings, but I never used to be comfortable flat on my back even with a good mattress. I have never been a belly sleeper because I get lower back pain if I lay facedown for too long, and losing almost 90lbs hasn't changed that.

Mary Gee
on 6/22/15 1:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I generally toss and turn during the night.  But one of my NSVs is being able to toss and turn, without it being a "major production".  Before surgery, if I wanted to change from my left side to the right, it meant getting hold of the headboard, shifting sheets and blankets, repositioning pillows, and HEAVE HO!!  Left me huffing and puffing.  Now - no problem.  I love my new-found agility and mobility WLS has given me!!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

The Salty Hag
on 6/22/15 7:45 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I love this, Mary!! I had the same problem pre-surgery. I love being to just flip on over now!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Diaz16
on 6/22/15 2:33 am

I feel your struggle my surgery was on 6/2/15 so little more then 2 weeks ago n I sleep on the couch on my back which then gives me a crick in my neck so I try sleeping on my right side n I put a pillow or thick comforter in between my legs that helps.  I miss sleeping o. My stomach but my left side is still sore n I'm still on pain meds with out then I'm n too much pain to sleep. I'll try to stay positiven say it'll get better hopefully pillow idea works for you like it does me.

Arielle

Gwen M.
on 6/22/15 4:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yup!  I used to be a stomach sleeper but now that I have less stomach it's not as comfortable. So now I mainly sleep on my back or side. Big adjustment. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/15 11:12 am

sleeping on the stomach is really bad for the back. Even before I lost the weight I had to change. 

I sleep on my side, with a firmer pillow under my head - neck, pillow between my legs ( to help align the spine) and pillow in front of me - to prevent from my chest collapsing. 

If I sleep on my back - my head is elevated and I use a pillow for under my knees.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."