4 Months Out...How Am I Doing?

luxurycouture
on 6/20/15 3:16 pm

Hi, friends! 

So I am 4 months out and I am feeling great! So far, I have lost a total of about 50 pounds, with 40 being post-op and 10 pre op. I am feeling like my weight loss has already started to slow down. I haven't lost any weight this week. In fact, I gained .2 lbs and I have been fluctuating within a pound all week. I weigh myself every couple of days.

I have been trying new recipes and trying to cook more, which was never an easy thing for me- I never really enjoyed cooking like other people do, so it's been a new adventure and it has been good. There are times, however, that I have to grab a bit out at a restaurant because I am not prepared and it seems like it has been happening a lot lately. So, what am I ordering? Maybe an order of spicy tuna sushi with no rice or grilled salmon or tuna.

At home, I have been eating a lot of shrimp with a homemade spicy mang sauce, quinoa salad, veggie burgers and cheese sticks. Cheese sticks are a great grab and go snack for me. Also, apples and organic peanut butter (just peanuts and oil) have been a fave of mine lately. Oh, and hard boiled eggs are a good breakfast or snack during the day.  There have been a few times where I have caved and had a bite of rice off of my boyfriend's plate or a a couple of crackers in a pinch. There have been a few times where I think I have eaten too much, so I am really having to go back to measuring my food, instead of eyeing it.

I started doing yoga 3-5 times a week and I try to walk 30 minutes almost every day, but it usually ends up being 3-4 times a week. The other day I actually ran for a couple of minutes to get my heart rate up, which was huge for me.

Anyway, what do you think? Am I where I should be? I am worried that I am at a plateau and that I am not going to keep losing... Any advice, words, encouragement or motivation is welcome! 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 4:18 pm

Your weightloss so far sounds good but it's probably slowing down because of the foods you are eating. You have listed mango sauce, quinoa, veggie burgers, apples and peanut butter along with rice and crackers on occasion.  They are ALL carbs. You need to try and get back to basics. Protein protein protein. Start journaling what you are eating and keep track of your carbs. A small Apple has 21 carbs alone. I eat 30 total carbs a day. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SkinnyScientist
on 6/20/15 4:28 pm

HI!  I think you are doing great for activity 4-5 m onths out. I didnt start to feel strong until after 4 months.

I do worry about the cheese sticks and peanut butter though.  Those pack a LOT of calories in just a few small bites.  Try to substitute PB2 for the PB in shakes or as a spread if you can. PB2 has just 45 calories per 2 teaspoons and my almond butter *just almonds, oil, and salt* packs in 190 calories for 2 tblspn.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

luxurycouture
on 6/20/15 10:12 am, edited 6/20/15 10:13 am

Thank you! I need to hear this! 

My nutritionist suggested PB + quinoa so that's why I added it. The cheese sticks have 60 calories and 7 grams of protein (no carbs) so they have been a go-to for me. 

I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish and shrimp, so those are good protein sources. 

I usually am am the one giving advice to friends, but when it comes to food, I feel somewhat clueless. I really want to make this work and I never want to go back to how things were before the surgery. 

Any suggestions, please keep them coming! I don't want to be one of those people who posts after gaining weight. If I practice good habits now, it will pave a better future. 

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 5:38 pm

There are 39g of carbs in 1 cup of cooked quinoa.

Google the foods you are eating. Try to cut your carbs down and you will be fine. (30-40 total) Cheese sticks are great just make sure you keep track of them.  Eggs are great for you. All seafoods are great. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

frisco
on 6/20/15 6:33 pm

Congrats on your WL so far !!!!

i'm going to guess by your food choices that your daily calorie intake is way high.

From here on out it's all you.

Learning to recognize, react and adjust is key to long term weight control.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

luxurycouture
on 6/20/15 8:03 pm

What are you eating? Can you give me some suggestions? I look on eggface's blog, Pinterest and Google and I have found some good recipes And ideas, but I'm open to more! 

Again, I don't eat meat, so many of the popular things aren't good for me, but I do eat fi****'s easy to grill fish and shrimp, but it's the stuff beyond that where I get a little stumped. 

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 8:43 pm

Do you eat poultry? Chicken or turkey? 

luxurycouture
on 6/21/15 6:07 am

No, I eat seafood though. And tofu. 

Chilipepper
on 6/21/15 8:37 am

In my personal experience, anything made of soy put the skids on my weight loss. They used to encourage people to eat soy protein and soy products but the doctors aren't pushing it as much.  I avoid anything with soy in it like the plague because after years of trying different forms of soy I know what it does to me. 

If you like seafood there are several ways to incorporate that into your daily diet. Fish, shrimp, crab.... Heaven. Just try to take the other stuff out and focus on protein.