Need to drink more water? Try fruit/veggie infused water!

Kathy S.
on 6/20/15 11:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Are  you trying to get more water in and you find it hard? Try throwing in a few pieces of fruit or veggies.  Its summer time and both are plentiful.  You can buy pitchers for infusion, or throw some in a mason jar.  I love cutting up fruit and veggies and make ice cubes to throw in my water.

Here are some great suggestions.  Try it you may like it!

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=fruit%20and%20veget able%20infused%20water

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

crystal M.
on 6/20/15 6:22 pm - Joliet, IL

I actually bought one of these last year and I love it.  I highly recommend buying one if you are thinking of doing this.  

http://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-Fruit-Infusion-Flavor-Pitcher/ dp/B0023UL86A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1434824600&sr=8-4&keywo rds=fruit+infuser

jayner
on 6/22/15 1:31 pm - Littleton, MA

I also bought an infuser from Amazon called the "hydro-fuzer PRO". I has the infuser section at the bottom instead of the top. I tried a different brand bottom infuser, but it leaked. You get very few calories from infused water. The water just mingles with the fruit and I doubt if you get more than a tablespoon of juice. I find that if I keep the infuser refrigerated overnight, the fruit will last up to three days. I either use fresh oranges or frozen fruit - usually mango.

When I complained about problems drinking water to my surgeon after my RNY seven years ago, she said tha****er isn't very slippery.

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 4:28 pm

I would think that muddling a ton of sugary fruits wouldn't be a good idea. Sugar is Sugar.. I wouldn't think of drinking orange juice so why would I drink water loaded with fruit sugars. Min****er or maybe a slice of lemon. Don't you find you are just drinking carbs and calories ?  Just thinking out loud.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/15 6:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think it would depend on how much fruit you added. 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice is 14 calories and 2.5g sugar, wouldn't be too bad.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 6:17 pm

I was thinking more along the lines as orange and I see apple in the pic. Grapefruit would be good.  

I know the temptation would be hard for me just not to eat the fruit in the bottom of the glass. ;)

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kiwideb
on 6/20/15 2:12 pm, edited 6/20/15 2:16 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I would think 5-8 lemon lime orange slices in water are going to be highly diluted as to be equivalent of zero. Basically make a smoothie? Not so much.

lemon lime oj water got me through the first month when even water tasted gross and anything artificially flavored tasted like arse...

Chilipepper
on 6/20/15 9:39 pm

You could sit sedentary for that time frame and still lose. 

One serving of Oj no matter how diluted still contains 112 calories and 25.8 carbs. So if you are drinking that all day you will get a serving in addition to the other fruit. You can do it if you want but I wouldn't. That's just me. It's just pure sugar/ carbs. Now I have tossed on an lemon or lime slice a few times over the years. That's it though.