Gallbladder surgery

Donna K.
on 6/15/15 5:36 pm - ME

I had an open RNY 14 years ago. It looks like I need to have my gallbladder removed. I'm wondering if I'll be able to have it done laparoscopically or because of the RNY will I have to have an open gallbladder surgery. Anyone have experience with this?

Peace & Love, Donna K.
HLen
on 6/15/15 6:51 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

I did not have open RNY, but gallbladder removal was done as lap for me no prob... Consult a surgeon.  I'm sure they can try lap and if the scar tissue is too bad then they will do open. 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Donna K.
on 6/16/15 12:40 am - ME

Thanks HLen!

Peace & Love, Donna K.
Vicki PNW
on 6/15/15 8:04 pm

I had mine done lap 19 months after my WLS without any complications.  I was out of the hospital in 28 hours.  I returned to work 11 days after the surgery.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Donna K.
on 6/16/15 12:39 am - ME

Thanks Vicki!

Peace & Love, Donna K.
KerryF.
on 6/16/15 5:26 am, edited 6/16/15 5:27 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13
On June 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Pacific Time, Vicki K. wrote:

I had mine done lap 19 months after my WLS without any complications.  I was out of the hospital in 28 hours.  I returned to work 11 days after the surgery.

I also had mine out 19 months after my RNY and for me I was also out of the hospital 24 hours later and the surgeon used several of the same holes from my previous surgery so I now only have 7 scars on my tummy and I was also back to work 11 days later and power walking everyday after 3 weeks  

ohh and that was just a little over 3 weeks ago and today I don't even feel like I had surgery again

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Stapler
on 6/16/15 8:02 am

I had to have my gallbladder out only 6 months after having a VBGB in 1998.

The doctor tried & tried to do it laparoscopically but could not, due to excessive scar tissue.  He ended up having to do an incision that at the time was about 4" long, underneath my right breast.

Everyone is different, so there's no way of knowing until it's done, I guess.

Today the scar has faded to where it's barely noticeable.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/15 6:35 pm - OH

I had open RNY, then had an open incisional hernia repair, (same midline incision) but then had lap gallbladder removal.  The only complication was that one of the incisions had to be about an inch and a half or so long in order for the surgeon to get through the mesh from my hernia repair.

I also have several friends who had open WLS (either RNY or DS) and had lap gallbladder removal.  Unless you have an unusual amount of adhesions, it shouldn't be a problem.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.