Pre-Op Diet...Is it really this horrible?!

beckyp0320
on 6/13/15 5:43 pm

Okay I started my 2 wk. pre-op diet on Wednesday (It is now Saturday) day 1 went well until that night.... my jaw had been tight all day but I have TMJ so I didn't really think about it. Any who, I woke up or my toddler woke me up at 12:30am, I felt like I had the worst tension headache. I did go back to sleep, then around 3:30am I woke up again feeling like I had a sinus headache this time.  I ended up throwing up and feeling like poo poo. I went to sleep after a rice sock was on me and my hubby massaged my neck. I threw up again earlier that day.  I couldn't do the shakes on day 2 - I had an apple sauce, a cheesestick that's it. Day 3 I started out great, I figured the worst was over! Had my 2 shakes, 2 high protein snacks (2 cheesesticks) and a yogurt. Well then I had a stress test done to be sure before the surgery...they did the chemical instead of the treadmill . An hour after the chemical but before they did the final imaging my jaw started hurting bad, and my head. By the time they were done I was in tears (full on crying) I was in so much pain.  Needless to say I went to the hospital (worst migraine of my life, jaw hurting and couldn't move my neck and was puking like I was going through an exorcism).  So today, day 4, I cheated, I guess? I wasn't offered many options and they forgot to give me breakfast (I asked for eggs and cheese) I ended up having 2 servings of mashed potatoes and 1 applesauce. It was literally all I could keep down. So I'm a little scared....are these just horrible horrible cir****tances that happen to coincide with my diet or is this what I should expect for the next 10 days?!!! Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to give all the facts.

Thanks in advance!

Hislady
on 6/13/15 6:31 pm - Vancouver, WA

I think it sounds like you had a horrible migraine that caused all the issues. A change in diet shouldn't affect you like that. Usually people don't throw up of have pain like that they just feel hungry and tired mostly. I think you just had a bad start and you should be ok now except for being hungry but that you can't change just gotta go thru it.

beckyp0320
on 6/13/15 6:33 pm

I am totally OKAY with feeling hungry and not puking!!! Im really hoping its just a bad start/timing of everything and it'll all go smoothly now.

LeslieT
on 6/13/15 7:10 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

Is there anything in the shake that is a migraine trigger for you? It sounds like you are reacting to something. I would call the doctor's office and see if there is anything else that can be used for the pre-op diet.

Highest: 250 - 30 pounds lost pre-op - Surgery Weight: 220 Current: 156 Goal: 145

beckyp0320
on 6/13/15 7:12 pm

Maybe, but Im not sure? Hadn't thought about that! I swear though, if I do the shakes again tomorrow and end up having another migraine and throwing up I will definitely talk to my doctor!! I am really hoping this is just a fluke!!!!!

doing_good
on 6/13/15 8:40 pm

I have a very hard time with sugar substitutes. I'm 3 months post op and finally gave up on them altogether. Now I use real sugar or nothing at all. I check all labels carefully. I've never reacted well to any of the substitutes and it got a lot worse when I was trying to do everything right that we're told to do. I finally figured out what was causing the trouble and that it just wasn't worth a migraine. My nutritionist and I disagree on this one but she's not the one with migraines. 

beckyp0320
on 6/14/15 6:42 am

The protein shakes are made w/ stevia, I've had Splenda stuff before with no problem but I don't like the after taste and I was told the one w/ stevia has no after taste so I did that. It could be a reaction to that. I'm hoping today goes w/out a hitch. If I throw up again I'm calling my dr's office first thing tomorrow to see what I can do. 

annieliv
on 6/13/15 7:34 pm - Toronto, Canada

Did you stop drinking caffeine suddenly?

I stopped drinking soda & coffee 3 months pre-op and moved to tea.  I knew I had to kick the caffeine habit and stopped the tea and all caffeine 1 month before I started the pre-op diet. 

Thank goodness I stopped the caffeine before I had to start Optifast. I suffer with Bruxism and it became worse.  Add that to caffeine withdrawl and the result was a week long headache, piercing right behind the eyes.

I am now 8 weeks post op, the Bruxism isn't as bad and (knock on wood) haven't had a headache (or any caffeine!).

I wish you all the best & hope you feel better as you get closer to surgery.

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

beckyp0320
on 6/14/15 6:39 am

I've been weining myself off caffeine for awhile now but day 1 I did do absolutely none which made me kind of wonder. I think I need to taper myself off even more to be safe. I'd rather go through the withdrawals now then after or during the surgery. Good luck to you and congrats!!

Poodlemac
on 6/13/15 10:45 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

There has apparently been a terrible stomach virus going around. did they rule that out?