Question about GERD and Sleeve

Amber B.
on 6/12/15 12:51 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

Hello, I am in the process of getting approved for bariatric surgery, I have my first meeting with the surgeon in a couple weeks. I really have my heart set on getting sleeved for a few reasons, one of them being I have family and friends that have had both procedures (sleeve and RNY) and the RNY ones have suffered from a few complications. I do understand that everyone's experience will be totally different and I should not compare and ultimately it will be the decision of my surgeon and I. With all that being said, I just wanted to know if anyone else out there has GERD and did it stop them from being able to get the sleeve or has anyone with GERD been able to still get sleeved and how it turned out. Thank you!

roxytrim
on 6/12/15 12:54 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I didn't have regular GERD before I was sleeved and was warned it was a possibility afterward.  So yes I do get GERD but keep it quite under control with a once daily PPI.  All worth the price of admission.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/12/15 12:55 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I didn't have GERD before the sleeve, but I have it now.  My surgeon said that happens to many sleeved patients.  

Usually the VSG is contraindicated if you suffer from severe GERD prior to surgery.  Your surgeon should be able to give you more information.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Amber B.
on 6/12/15 1:03 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

Thank you both for your reply

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/12/15 1:06 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had GERD b4 surgery, but my case was very mild & likely caused by the hiatial hernia they found & was corrected at surgery. I was on a ppi for a couple of months b4 & after surgery & I haven't had to take any since then. I'm a little bit more than a year out.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

mysty888
on 6/12/15 3:26 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

I had really bad GERD and was told RNY is the preferred surgery for it. It's definitely gone now. 

Hislady
on 6/12/15 4:25 pm - Vancouver, WA

It depends on the cause of the GERD if it is from a hernia then it shouldn't be a problem but if it is from some issue with your stomach it is not a good idea. Part of the problem is too much acid in the esophagus can cause Barretts esophagus a precancerous condition. So you don't want to add more acid to an already dangerous situation. I still suffer a great deal of acid from my removed lap band and trust me you don't want to deal with it for life, it gets old REAL fast!!

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/15 5:23 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I had my heart set on the sleeve for 3 years before finally being able to start the process. I was 4 months into my 6-month pre-op process when I finally met with the surgeon, and he convinced me to switch to RNY because of my severe GERD. I'm glad I did -- my husband was sleeves 2 weeks later and didn't have GERD before, but does now, while the waves of nausea (which were my only GERD symptom) have been gone since day 1. Look into your options and your specific case...my doctor said very much that the severity of GERD going in matters. Also, a lot of times GERD resolves with weight loss, so developing it after VSG is temporary, but I lost 80 lbs before surgery with no improvement to my GERD, so I knew ahead of time that likely wouldn't be the outcome in my case.

TimeForMe61
on 6/12/15 6:20 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

I was only going to consider the sleeve and like FurKids, my doctor and a 2nd opinion convinced me that with my GERD, and Barrett's esophagus, I had no choice but RNY. Glad I did it and no GERD!!

caliannie
on 6/12/15 7:38 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I had severe GERD before surgery and my surgeon said the sleeve would not resolve the GERD and would probably make it worse. I sat through 3 WLS seminars prior to surgery and all of them said patients suffering from GERD would do better with RNY. My surgeon put me on Prilosec while I'm healing from surgery. It has gotten better to the point that I forget to take the pill. I have a follow up appointment next month and expect to stop taking the meds. You and your surgeon will decide which one is best for you. I chose RNY because I wanted the GERD to resolve.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1