Question about GERD and Sleeve

alaskasusan
on 6/12/15 9:43 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I too had my heart set on the sleeve..and though I had NO indications of GERD, we found in pre-surgery testing that I'd had it for enough years to actually get a diagnosis of Barrett's Esophagus.  So my wonderful surgeon gently and carefully explained to me why the RNY was a much better option. I did my own research and found that RNY is actually therapeutic for GERD!!!  Well, that convinced me especially considering that a sleeve could exacerbate GERD. And I am sooooo happy with the results of my RNY. I am very grateful that my surgeon pointed me in the right direction for me.  I hope that you will also find the best path to take as well, and wish you good luck in reaching your goals.

frisco
on 6/12/15 9:49 pm

Very aggressive treatment of a hiatel hernia and overall shape of the sleeve is very important to promote proper directional food flow. Basically going from smaller to larger is the key.

Lot's of time GERD with the sleeve is from improper shape. A shape that promotes food and stomach acids to push back up.

This is also another reason to "under eat" your sleeve capacity, eating to capacity and over eating creates pressure and tends to go up.

The RNY is a preferred procedure with patients that have severe GERD issues because the pyloric valve is not in play.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Amber B.
on 6/13/15 7:23 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Thank you all so much for your very informative responses! I am so happy I found this site, it is a wealth of knowledge and very nice supportive people! I look forward to more interactions

bonkers-1952
on 6/13/15 11:00 pm

Hmmm, well I have Gerd and had the sleeve April 28th, I take a ppi and so far so good. I hope I don't experience ant future negatives. I have health issuess and therefore the sleeve was suggested.

ipray
on 6/14/15 10:41 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I had GERD prior to sleeve surgery and was on a PPI, but would still have episodes. After surgery, I still take a PPI but I have not had any GERD symptoms. Love my sleeve!