glo61
on 6/11/15 8:51 pm - Pittsburgh, PA

Hello everyone,

My name is Gloria and am new to this website. I'm thinking that this will help me a lot with my journey. Okay LET'S start from the beginning. I'm 5'4 and I used to weigh 267lbs. I just had my gastric bypass surgery on Monday (6-8-15) and I weighed in at 247.  I'm at home now and I'm just really bloated with all the gas that they put in me. I'm trying to walk as much as i can and take in my protein and liquids. Now when I go and make my kids something to eat I feel the urge to eat also, me being on my liquid diet tells myself no and that I shouldn't be even feeling hungry. Has anyone ever had this problem? I how to get to know yinz more and learn a lot through this journey. 

Thank you,  

Gloria

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/11/15 9:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you taking a PPI?  If not, stomach acid can mimic hunger.

Or it could be old fashioned head hunger. You know you can't eat so you become more fixated on food.

Hang in there.  It gets better.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

glo61
on 6/12/15 4:41 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
On June 11, 2015 at 9:52 PM Pacific Time, GeekMonster (Mo), Purveyor of Fine Meats wrote:

Are you taking a PPI?  If not, stomach acid can mimic hunger.

Or it could be old fashioned head hunger. You know you can't eat so you become more fixated on food.

Hang in there.  It gets better.

Yes I'm taking priloceic once a day and the carofate liquid 4xs a day. 

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 8:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome to the loser's bench, Gloria!   My physical hunger didn't die down for awhile. I remember when we came home from the hospital that my hubby went through McDonald's drive-thru for his lunch.  The smell was intoxicating - lol!  Eventually that feeling eased up and I'm betting yours will too.  If you continue to feel strong hunger pangs then look into getting on a PPI for excess stomach acid.  

Having the surgery isn't going to prevent those urges to snack and have a "bite of this" or "nibble of that".  That will come from you practicing self-control - over and over and over again.  Wishing you all the best on this journey!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

glo61
on 6/12/15 4:44 pm - Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you so much. I already take priloceic once a day and the carofate liquid 4xs a day. Tomorrow is going to be a big challenge for me. Graduation party cookout. Uhh...

becf15
on 6/13/15 1:19 pm

Hi there Gloria, my name is Becky. I had surgery on 5/20/15 and I felt the same way for the first week or so. When I had to make food I just wanted to eat it even though I wasn't really hungry and new I couldn't. Definitely my head hunger talking there. After that it has been much easier and I haven't had those cravings. I went out with the husbands family to dinner as we usually do at least once a month and watching them eat kinda made me glad I couldn't eat because I sat and watched them eat way too much and too fast. 

This has definitely been a learning experience, but I feel it is getting easier day by day. I still want certain foods, but I just remind myself I wanted this change and I'm doing this to make myself better and so that I can teach my children better habits then I had. 

Good luck, congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your journey.