Opti-fast vs. Other Protein Drinks

zann50
on 6/12/15 7:25 am

Yep!  There is a nutrition shop located right next to my WLS clinic...guess where we were all directed to purchase Opti-Fast.  And, $400 for the month of pre-op diet was the cost.  Read the label on powder and pre-mix.  There are 28gms of sugar in each.  Yes, I lost 20lbs in one month using four shakes a day and one meal/day.  Instructed to NEVER use any left over post surgery!  Guess why...I'm just sayin'

Karen M.
on 6/12/15 8:10 am - Mississauga, Canada

Are you in Ontario (Canada)? If so, Optifast is the standard required pre-op diet, as per the Bariatric Network/Registry guidelines.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Ready2goNOW
on 6/12/15 11:25 am

No, I am not in Canada.

I need to go online to review the ingredients of Opti-fast & compare them against the protein drink I like.

I hate to admit it, but I'd be a bit intimidated to have to argue the point about not wanting to purchase this program when I am going under the knife w/this guy. I feel like $400 is not a lot to quibble about...to me it is almost more the principle of being forced to do something when scientific evidence does not support it.

I meet w/the dietician next week & plan to run this by her. Of course, they are all part of the same 'team,' but I like her & would be interested in her response. In terms of the surgeon I have only seen him twice, and my guess is he is a little arrogant & ****y. But he's got a good rep. Probably just young (40 something) & rich...making money hand over fist. The same opinion I had of my oncologist, but he knew his stuff & was spot on w/my diagnosis...

Kathy