Shapewear-need advice

SkinnyScientist
on 6/11/15 5:23 am

HI Folks,

I am loving post-op/goal weight clothing.

Recently, I purchased some dresses which were on the form fitting side and in a light color.  When I received them, they were translucent and really didnt offer much in terms of support.

So I bought 3 nude colored body shaping slips to tone and over cover stuff up (like belly buttons/nipples).  This body shaper did not have straps (becuase they woudl show in some of these dresses) and is a slip. When it comes out of the package it looks sort of a like a small straight-jacket.

My problems are-the body shaper travels/ walks. It tries to pull my boobs down to my navel at the top and tries so walk up my thighs on the bottom.

Although my boobs are small, there is no support for them, they are just sort of smooshed down and pulled toward my navel.

You can still see nipples. If I try bra cups I will end up with 4 boobs within 2 hours instead of two from the shaper trying to pull them down.

Is there a way to fix this?

Where did I go wrong?

Is there actually a shaper out that that provides support & coverage to the small breasted (Most are in the C-DD range). I am looking for brand names and stores.

Thanks for reading.

-Skinny

Who has a glamourous looking dress but no way to make it work (as in terms of hiding nipples)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

chris_ruff
on 6/11/15 5:40 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i use spanx high waisted shapers. they are like shorts that go up under your breasts. i don't use the shapers that cover the breasts because they do exactly what you describe....create pancake boobs and pull down. so i wear my own bra plus the shaper and it does the trick. sounds like you need a molded cup strapless bra to avoid showing straps and nipples. any department store with a good intimates section should have one.

spanx are expensive but they work and are good quality. the cheap ones are cheap for a reason. a good shaper makes all the difference in appearance. proper undergarments are the foundation of any outfit!

--Christina
White Dove
on 6/11/15 5:53 am - Warren, OH

Take the dresses to a department store linguire department and ask to be fitted.  The right garment might cost more than the dresses did.  You don't need three of them.  Get one good one and wa**** between wearings.

What I sometimes use are stick on bra pads. 

They lift and shape with no straps and no bra back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

iloveravens
on 6/11/15 5:59 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I also paid the money to go with Spanx high wasted shapers.  Recently, I found some cheap undies on groupon that I actually like better now!  I just checked and they are still available:  

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-womens-high-waisted-seamless-tummy-control-panties

I got a size medium and they fit great.  I'm 5' 6" and 146 lbs if that helps.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Pokemom
on 6/11/15 6:41 am
RNY on 12/29/14

For the nipple problem, I use "bra discs." I like a brand called "Bezi from Edith's" that I got through Amazon.  These are not for support, but for show-through.  I also like some called "Nippies Skin."  They help me feel modest, while not adding extra bulk, nor compression.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/11/15 7:06 am

I need those things!

I got nips of steel..they poke through everything and it is so embarrassing.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/11/15 7:16 am

I buy shapewear I can try on..

typically I end up buying a size or 2 bigger that my clothes size - for comfort and wearability. 

they smooth and keep things in without smashing my insides, and outsides too much. No rolls.. no muffin tops.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 6/11/15 1:38 am, edited 6/11/15 1:53 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Wait..skinny people with no loose skin don't need shape wear!! Aren't those reserved for those of us not lucky enough to have such fabulous genetics? 

Maybe go a few sizes smaller with your shaper so the girls will be forced to behave and stay put? 

ETA: I'd love to see the dresses!! I'm in the market for something form fitting and summery. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 6/11/15 3:57 am, edited 6/11/15 3:57 am

Wait..skinny people with no loose skin don't need shape wear!! 

You know...you are right!!! I gravitated toward the shapewear because it was slip shaped, mostly opague (for the light colors) and wouldn't leave a "line" like my bras do under the dress.  

On the dresses, I will get groomy to take photos. I have had great luck with Zulily. The clothes actually run true to the posted measurements.  Dresslily has been hit or miss.  For example, some things are too tight across the chest, or the will say that the dress is knee length but it will be WAY up there on the thigh.

Guilt and ?Hautelook? are additional sites that are great to look at but the prices scare me.

But back to slip. I wonder if there are some sort of slips that will provide support without leaving a weird lines.

Tracy D.
on 6/11/15 11:04 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I found a shaper at Dress Barn that you can turn around so the scooped area leaves your boobies free - then you wear your own bra and aren't all smushed down.  You can turn it around the other way if you want the scooped area to be in back.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15