weight loss after surgery

Gwen M.
on 6/12/15 9:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It definitely seems like you're making poor choices nutritionally.  Oatmeal, sugar free puddings, and broccoli and cheese soup have virtually no protein, many carbs, and aren't useful for you nutritionally at this point.  They might be on your plan, but that doesn't mean they're great choices that you should be eating.  Stick to foods that are high in proteins and nix the stuff that isn't beneficial.  The only thing in your day that I'd eat would be the cheese, protein shakes, and water.  (I'm not saying coffee is bad, I've just never acquired a taste for it!)  

Try replacing the things you're opting for now with foods that are higher in protein - cottage cheese, yogurt, refried beans.. there are much better options out there that will aid your weight loss instead of hindering it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/11/15 4:29 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Umm, just how often are you weighing yourself?  Once a week was enough for me - there is too much day to day variation.

I did not loose 30 pounds in the first month (like a friend of mine did) - just ~12# a month and well, you do the math.  At 5 1/2 months after surgery I am down 70 pounds (plus the 15 pre-surgery).  And I look and feel marvelous!  (As does my friend, who lost hers in a less steady fashion.) 

Best of luck to you - focus on doing the right thins and the weight loss will follow.

Sharon

rebecca B.
on 6/12/15 7:27 am - LA

thanks so much. im glad to see that not everyone is super human and looses the full 100lbs in the first month.. lol. thanks so lifting my spirits. i will start weighing myself once a week instead of everyday expecting a change. 

killinmesmalls77
on 6/12/15 7:26 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I am 5 weeks post-op and last week at my check-up, I asked this question, because I was worried too that I was doing something wrong because I didn't lose 30-40 pounds in the first month like other people have.  She said everyone loses differently and people that weigh 400 lbs are going to lose a lot more weight the first month than someone who weighs 250 lbs.  I was told not to worry about what other people are losing and just work my program.  

I've had pretty good luck with my food too, but am not moving through the stages until I get the okay from my doctor. Make sure you aren't moving before you are supposed to. There are reasons that they want you to move slow through each phase. Part of it is to make sure your stomach heals properly. 

If you post a couple of days worth of food, the vets on here are so good about helping pinpoint red flags or issues. 

Good Luck and keep working your program! 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

Hislady
on 6/12/15 5:12 pm - Vancouver, WA

Also PLEASE remember that the nerves in your stomach were cut during surgery so you will not get reliable messages from your stomach as to whether you are full or not so be extra careful to weigh and measure your servings carefully or you will get used to over eating and then it is hard to rein back in the amount you are eating top be successful. It is much easier to correct now than down the road when you are used to eating more.

Another thing is everyone may lose differently but most do lose in a stair step fashion, that is they lose and then hold there for awhile, then lose again for awhile and then stop for another little stretch soo just stick with the high protein, low carb way of eating and you will get there!!