Surgery got delayed, but there's a silver lining!

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/15 12:08 pm
VSG on 07/13/15

Well, I have good news and bad news..

Bad News: My surgery got delayed

Good News: I'll be able to get a VSG (Stomach Staple) instead and within this month instead of waiting for August. I have one more test (Blood & BP) to do at my regular doctor's office and get that information in by the 19th.

Stomach Staple might have a little bit less weight loss, but I won't need to be on a big vitamin regimen for the rest of my life other than a multi-vitamin. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/10/15 12:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Great news that you won't have to wait as long!

There are TONS of people here who've had great success with the VSG. I had it and couldn't be happier! You can work whichever tool you get :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/15 12:49 pm
VSG on 07/13/15
On June 10, 2015 at 12:48 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty Brings the Science wrote:

Great news that you won't have to wait as long!

There are TONS of people here who've had great success with the VSG. I had it and couldn't be happier! You can work whichever tool you get :)

As long as I get some kind of tool (except for Lapband), I'm pretty much happy :)

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/11/15 7:23 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Good to hear but it is not really a stomach staple. That was a procedure they did a long time ago. It is a removal of roughly 80% of your stomach. Rates of weight loss is comparable to the RNY after five years.

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/15 11:03 am
VSG on 07/13/15
On June 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Pacific Time, Brad Special Snowflake wrote:

Good to hear but it is not really a stomach staple. That was a procedure they did a long time ago. It is a removal of roughly 80% of your stomach. Rates of weight loss is comparable to the RNY after five years.

Yeah that was my bad. I had a bit of the message copy pasted from my facebook in that post.

Thanks for the 5 year rate comparison!

Kathy S.
on 6/11/15 10:52 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/11/15 12:59 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

VSG here  

I'm 18 months post surgery tomorrow and would consider myself somewhat successful, considering my starting weight.  For me, it was about making permanent changes to my eating habits and lifestyle.  I'm not quite at goal, but still plugging away.

But, I do take vitamins daily and this will not change for the rest of my life.  These include:

2 each Multivitamins daily

3 each 500mg Calcium Chews daily

1 each  D3 5,000 IU daily

1 each  B1 3X a week

1 each  Sublingual B12 3X a week

Who is telling you that you only need to take a multivitamin after having the VSG?   You might want to check into that in detail because I've never seen it recommended for anyone with the VSG, especially immediately after surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/15 1:03 pm
VSG on 07/13/15
On June 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM Pacific Time, GeekMonster (Mo), Purveyor of Fine Meats wrote:

VSG here  

I'm 18 months post surgery tomorrow and would consider myself somewhat successful, considering my starting weight.  For me, it was about making permanent changes to my eating habits and lifestyle.  I'm not quite at goal, but still plugging away.

But, I do take vitamins daily and this will not change for the rest of my life.  These include:

2 each Multivitamins daily

3 each 500mg Calcium Chews daily

1 each  D3 5,000 IU daily

1 each  B1 3X a week

1 each  Sublingual B12 3X a week

Who is telling you that you only need to take a multivitamin after having the VSG?   You might want to check into that in detail because I've never seen it recommended for anyone with the VSG, especially immediately after surgery.

My surgeon's office at Great Lakes Weight Loss, but if my blood test after surgery tells me I need more vitamins I'm not against taking more :) The person there told me two of them a day, though.

Are you a rarity (vitamin wise) versus other VSG patients? I know that all RNY patients need extra vitamins.

on 6/11/15 2:24 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think I'm the norm.  Try posting on the VSG forum and see what others say.  Here's a link:

VSG Forum

You might also want to read what the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says about vitamins after any type of WLS:

Life After Bariatric Surgery

Right after surgery, I was taking an iron supplement, but my iron levels were always very high so my physician had me stop taking them after my three month labs.  They also decreased my B12 from daily to three days a week based on my labs.  

on 6/11/15 2:50 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Someone else posted this on the RNY board, but it contains the most current recommendations regarding WLS.