What's shakin, kids? (I'm new)

alletron
on 6/8/15 10:12 am
VSG on 08/24/15

Hey there.... I'm super super new! I'm having my first consult in 2 weeks, but I'm incredibly optimistic about the whole process. I just wanted to stop by and say Hi and kinda introduce myself. I'm Alletron, I live in San Francisco, I'm 31, and I'm really excited about surgery. 

So uh, Hi! 

What is the one thing you would've warned your pre-op self about had you known? 

The Salty Hag
on 6/8/15 11:22 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Hi..welcome to the jungle!

The best piece of advice I could give my pre-op self is this: start your post-op eating habits (higher protein, lower carbs, no junk foods, not drinking with meals ) ASAP. It will be SO much easier to do it before as opposed to after. And start taking a multi vitamin now if you aren't already...

Good luck! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Tracy D.
on 6/8/15 11:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

To get off the caffeine long before surgery -- because the withdrawal headaches SUCK! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

alletron
on 6/8/15 12:44 pm
VSG on 08/24/15

Oh interesting! My Dr. said that we could stay on caffeine. I wonder if it depends on the type of surgery or just the doctor performing it... I'll have to ask him about that next week. 

MsBatt
on 6/9/15 7:19 pm

I was given caffeinated iced tea in the hospital immediately after surgery. My surgeon said that caffeine can irritate the stomach, especially while it's healing, but that so long as it didn't bother me, then there was no reason that I shouldn't have it. I drink roughly a gallon of fully-caffeinated iced tea every single day, and have for the 11+ years since my DS.

Ok2BaLoser
on 6/9/15 2:18 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

This was hands down the most miserable time for me.  I gave up caffeine about a month ago knowing I was having surgery this month.  I am so glad that I did.  The HEADACHES were SO BAD.  I'm not even willing to go through that feeling again.  I'd rather rip my fingernails off one by one...........

Ready2goNOW
on 6/8/15 11:50 am

Welcome!

I am almost 4 months into my 6 month required pre-op period.

I have tried to eat & exercise the way I will need to after surgery. I have learned tons from this board & my 1x/month dietician visits. But I still need to learn lots more about good food choices, mixing & matching my daily meals, etc. I am grateful I have this prep time.

So ditto to what the above poster said!

This is a HUGE undertaking so prepare carefully!

Best of luck!

Kathy

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 12:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Hello and welcome!

I think my piece of advice is that you should be prepared to feel like you've been hit by a bus. (Not to scare you or anything, LOL!) I seriously underestimated how hard it would be to recover from surgery. I was exhausted for the full two weeks I was out of work after surgery and slept most of the time. Afterwards, I was still fairly "out of it" and took a lot of naps for the first month or two (at least). It's a BIG adjustment for your body, and well worth it, but make sure to take time for yourself and be patient as you heal!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

crystal M.
on 6/8/15 12:26 pm - Joliet, IL

I would have told myself to get off my lazy butt and start exercising sooner.  I don't know why I resisted doing exercise but when I did start the weight melted off me fast. 

mysty888
on 6/8/15 12:54 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

Hi! Welcome. I tend to be impatient when it comes to long term things, so for me, I would have to say it's a marathon, not a sprint. Getting surgery is exciting and many of us experience a new lease on life afterward. It can be fun, but also a struggle. This is definitely a tool, and NOT the easy way out, but it is SO WORTH IT! There will be hard days, easy days, triumphant days, and days I'm just so bored with it. Overall though, it's freaking awesome! 

If you don't cook at home, learn to. Learn how to try new things, modify recipes, and search online for new ideas. Learn that food is necessary for life, but not entertainment. Learn how to be comfortable eating differently than those around you, and get comfortable with ordering at restaurants what works for you and know that you can usually order sides of everything instead of just what's on the menu.

The non-scale victories are just as, if not more so, exciting than that number on the scale. I just bought my first bikini, and saw thigh gap for the first time. The thigh skin around it is loose and saggy, but I don't care, LOL! Take measurements before surgery so that you have more than one way to see your body changes. 

Embrace the changes! Good, bad, whatever! Learn from your mistakes, ask for help when you need it, and be your own health advocate. No one is perfect and some days will be better, harder, more trying, or more joyful than others. Keep following the program and believing in yourself. It's ok to be selfish and do things for yourself once in awhile, especially if it is for your health.

Good luck!!