Does anyone in Staten Island NY have any experience with this Dr?

oncetwice
on 6/8/15 9:45 pm

Two years ago I filled out an application for WLS with Dr. Karen Gibbs at SI University Hospital and was approved. I wound up unable to continue past that stage because I could not afford the $200 fee charged at the mandatory "information class" that was the next stage in the process. I was not able to meet the doctor before this, or the nutritionist, or seek approval from my insurance, and I was refused a list of clearances necessary so I couldn't even start working on that.

The fee really put me off, and the point in the process at which they were demanding the fee also put me off. I wound up losing interest, falling back into depression, and just plain giving up. 

Now I'm once again at the point physically and mentally where I can't take it anymore, I have to do something, and I have the $200 saved up and set aside for when this time came. 

I called the office on may first, a friday. I told the receptionist that I'd filled an application and was approved but didn't have the $200, and that it's been two years, and what do I do now to continue. She said she'd have someone call me back. I waited until the following friday and still no call, so the next monday I called back, and this time was put right on the phone with the person who was supposed to call me. She said with a chuckle and an attitude through her thick accent that "it's been two years you have to submit a new one" and I asked if she could mail me one and she took my name and address and said ok. 

It's June 9th, 5 weeks later and the application has still not arrived. Their office is literally a 5 minute drive away. I have been calling and asking why it's been taking so long, if anyone actually sent it, and they all say yes yes yes. I don't believe them.

I feel like they've just pooh-poohed me and I'm not sure I want to go ahead and use this surgeon or this office because I think this is just how they do business, not treating the patient or customer very well and never doing what they say they will. I feel like every step and any time I need to contact someone it'll be like pulling teeth.

But the only other WLS surgeon I've found on the island doesn't operate out of local hospitals, and it's a problem for me to get to the city (and home after surgery in particular).

I don't know what to do. I've been having a hard time lately, I keep sleeping past office hours and going to bed "too early" to be able to call them, but I plan on calling and complaining and telling them that I want to come in and pick up my own application, but this does nothing to restore my confidence in this group. 

Poodlemac
on 6/8/15 10:11 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

If it were me, I'd find another doctor and make a way to get to the city. That "fee" puts me off- I don't like a doctor taking advantage of a patient's desperation to get help. There has to be another way!  Good luck to you. Its absolutely worth the hassle, but you definitely have to have the right doctor!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/9/15 5:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

That "fee" is such BS! I think the treatment you're getting & you're not even a patient yet is ridiculous. People have gone to Mexico for surgery. You should really try to find a way to get to the city or anywhere else rather than put up with that nonsense. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

SkinnyScientist
on 6/9/15 6:31 am

I live in Washington DC.

I did NOT Have to pay a fee.

I would recommend getting far far away from this surgeon. Sounds like she is more interested in her pocketbook than oath.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

oncetwice
on 6/9/15 12:23 pm

Every doctor on my island has a fee. One of the other ones charges $300. Every person I've spoken to on the island who's had WLS has paid a fee. I've called the ones in Manhattan too and their receptionists tell me the same thing. They all have a fee. And it's not covered by insurance. 

I too think it is BS but it is cheaper than going to another state for surgery. That's just not reasonable. It took me 2 years to save the $200.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/10/15 5:08 am

Apparently NYC docs think they are especially special. Go elsewhere on the East coast.

Nothing overly magical about NYC doctors. They went to med school, just like every other doctor in the USA.

And for this they should get extra cash.

Gotta love that NYC attitude (Rolls eyes)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

White Dove
on 6/9/15 1:27 pm - Warren, OH

Set your alarm and call them.  Pick up your form and complete it.  Many surgeons have a fee.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/9/15 5:49 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I guess depending on your insurance is when the surgeons fee is paid, but it's a price negotiated between the insurance & the Dr. A mandatory class that everyone has to go to doesn't sound like a surgeons fee, it sounds like a way to get around the insurance. Not cool. 

I had surgery at NYU, the informational seminar that everyone had to go to b4 the surgeons consult was free. The consult was a co-pay. A surgeons fee I'm guessing actually requires surgery.

It sounds to me a way for that surgeon to get more money than insurance would  normally pay for.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 6/9/15 9:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Surgeon out on Long Island had a program fee. It covered Dieticians visits (as many as you wanted for the first year after surgery) and the I suppose for the professionals that were at the support groups. We didn't pay it though until our last Dr's visit before surgery... not to go to the seminar. Not being treated well isn't going to get better. I would investigate the other Doctor.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Joemac9408
on 6/10/15 8:09 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

My wife and I both used Dr. Ferzli and couldn't be happier.  He one of the best in the business.  He has a program fee but you don't pay it until they submit all of you paperwork to insurance for approval.  That fee covers all your visits with the dietician. He does surgery out of Lutheran in Brooklyn but its basically right over the bridge and all of the people that work for him and that work at the hospital are great.  

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160