Weird lumpy fat???

SKmammabear
on 6/6/15 3:16 pm

OK...  here's something I haven't seen yet or even thought of before.  I'm right around 100 lbs down now which is about halfway to goal for me now.  So, the other night I had an itch on my leg and it felt like little lumps of fat in there.  I have felt those on my "batwings" too.  Anyone else have that going on??

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/15 3:43 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I don't know what they are exactly, but I have a bunch of them too. Mostly in my "bat wings" and inner thighs, which are incidentally also the places where I have the most loose skin. I always thought they were just fat trapped right beneath the skin (is that what cellulite is?), but I think I first noticed it in middle school, so I haven't been too concerned. Better right under my skin than between my organs squishing and compressing everything.

MickeyDee
on 6/6/15 6:15 pm

From WebMD:  A lipoma is a growth of fat cells in a thin, fibrous capsule usually found just below the skin. Lipomas are found most often on the torso, neck, upper thighs, upper arms, and armpits, but they can occur almost anywhere in the body

I've had a couple pretty large ones that melted away as I lost weight, although I'm sure there are still lots of little ones.  They don't bother me and I won't bother them.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/15 6:31 pm - OH

Sounds like either lipomas or just pockets of more dense collections of fat cells. Unfortunately, lipomas do not usually go away with weight loss.  They are a somewhat different kind of fat mixed with tissue.  They are usually slow-growing, non-painful (unless they encompass or pree on a nerve or attach to a muscle) and are always benign.  

I had one about the size of a golf ball removed from the base of my neck in the doctor's office, and had two HUGE ones (rump roast sized!) removed from each of my hips several years apart. Apparently ones that large are rare and having two of them in exactly the same spot on both sides of my body makes me "special", LOL.  I also have one the size of a large marble on one thigh, but it has been there for many years and it doesn't bother me.

No one really knows what causes them, but being overweight does not cause them and obese people are NOT more likely to get them.

If it just a more dense pocket of fat, it will reduce in size as you continue to lose.  Those are apparently also very common.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crystal M.
on 6/7/15 7:10 am - Joliet, IL

Funny I never heard of these.  I was just sitting here feeling around my arms and thighs to see if I had any...LOL

Laura in Texas
on 6/7/15 12:41 pm

Have you even been to large conference or seminar of weight loss surgery patients? I've been to many. Overall as a community, we are a lumpy bumpy bunch (which is why so many of us get plastic surgery). You are not alone.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Navychic
on 6/7/15 4:46 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

Really funny response, mostly because I have a lot of these lumpy bumps!!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

StacyJo44
on 6/7/15 5:59 pm - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

Yep I have them too...As we lose the weight, fat cells shrink, they don't actually go away unless you have lipo suction or skin removal (which takes some subcu fat cells with it). Because the cells shrink, you're going to find they do it differently in different parts of the body, or you'd have a weirdly odd looking body! LOL..Anyway, so you get some cells shrinking in the arms, some in the legs, some in the tummy and hips, some in the face etc. as they shrink, the little gaps make it easier to feel the other fat cells around the shrunken ones. Eventually as you continue to drop weight, and more cells shrink, it becomes less pronounced or evens back out to where you can't feel the gaps. No worries! I had them extreme in my arms at first and they are hardly noticeable now.