Approval criteria

tatirod
on 6/5/15 3:44 am - Toronto, Canada

I live in Canada right now (ORIGINALLY FROM Michigan). I am being considered for gastric bypass in Canada (my new home). I assume the selection criteria are similar between countries. I have to meet with a nutritionist, take a nutrition class, and meet with a psychologist and social worker before getting the green light to meet the surgeon.

i also suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. So, I am driving myself nuts thinking about what they may ask and that I might have the wrong answer. To put my mind at ease, I was hoping some of you could share your experiences. I'm sure it's not as scary as I am making it (at least, I really hope it isn't).

Grim_Traveller
on 6/5/15 4:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Things vary a lot. It's like comparing apples and bananas. Experiences between provinces in Canada are very different too. There are Canadian forums on here that could better answer your questions.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy W.
on 6/5/15 5:01 am

Cross-post this on the Ontario message board so members can give you more specific information.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

tatirod
on 6/5/15 1:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank you, posting in the appropriate form now. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 3:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

For what it's worth, you can't tell them the wrong things; the decision will be made based on your medical chart. As long as that's accurate, you don't need to worry about studying up on what you're "supposed" to say!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

tatirod
on 6/5/15 3:54 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thanks, that is helpful. I'm just very nervous talking about myself for some reason. I give give a presentation to a large crowd and answer questions about data, but ask me how I am and I freeze. I'm just a little... Different.

but it's helpful to know I'm not going to scare the person to death (at least, probably not).

on 6/5/15 3:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Don't be afraid to write things down when you talk to the doctor, or speak with the insurance company over the phone! If having a list of reasons why you want to have surgery makes it easier, then go for it-- you can even hand your paper over to the surgeon if you need. Nothing wrong with a good cheat sheet :)

tatirod
on 6/13/15 4:27 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank you, this was really helpful. It really helped my anxiety to just write down my thoughts (especially the ones that kept me from falling asleep). 

So far I met the social worker-super nice- and the nurse practitioner-friendly but a little intimidating. I received a lot of reading material that answered a lot of my questions. So I have less to wonder/worry about. 😄

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

on 6/13/15 6:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Wonderful! I'm a list maker too and it helps a lot. Glad things went well!