What can I take for upset stomach?

healthy2be
on 6/7/15 9:56 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Lately, after I eat I get really nauseous.  I can't eat as much as I could even a week ago.  Before my RNY, if I got sick to my stomach, I would sip on ginger ale or sprite and it helped my stomach to settle.  Those are obviously out and Pepto is out because I'm pretty sure it has aspirin in it which is a no no.  So ... What CAN I take to my stomach chill out and prevent vomiting?  I'm pretty sure it is not a stricture  because I can drink fluids without any issues.  Honestly I think the issue is I'm eating too fast and not chewing enough.  I'm working on that, but as my fellow nurses will attest, breaks while working are as rare as good penmanship from a doctor 😉 so it's often catch as catch can.  Thanks!

Heather

rocky513
on 6/7/15 3:04 pm - WI

Peppermint tea or ginger tea worked for me.  Eating too fast will certainly make you nauseated.  Are you getting enough fluids ( at least 64 ounces)?  Dehydration can cause nausea.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Kathyjs
on 6/7/15 5:47 pm

Tums

NYMom222
on 6/7/15 10:01 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

When I have a hard time digesting... yes I probably still eat too fast, I chew 3 papaya enzymes I bought from GNC. Previously when I had something stuck or foamies (more severe) I would sip a little pineapple juice. Which also has enzymes. That extreme doesn't really happen anymore, but I find the Papaya helpful, and easy to carry with me. I don't take them everyday or anything... but they are there when I need them.

Papaya Enzyme  they have a smaller size - I happen to luck out on a good sale so I bought the large size.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Chilipepper
on 6/8/15 5:29 pm

Please don't use Papaya Enzyme. That is what they use to make Meat Tenderizer. It's a terrible idea. It's been thrown around these boards for years. It's used to break down proteins. What do you think your stomach/tiny little tender pouch is made of. For the instant relief you may get, you are causing more damage taking it. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Missella20
on 6/8/15 6:06 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Is it possible your nerve endings are healing so you have more feeling now? I have tried tums, and other OTC meds but nothing works for me. If I can, I lie down on my side and try to release gas. This is usually my problem. My gas pains are horrible! Nothing else has worked for me. I know...sounds crazy but it works. I probably say, "my stomach hurts" just about everyday. Most of the time I am not even aware of it until my daughter or hubby jokes about it. I guess my stomach does hurt at some point everyday but I still like that over the alternative.  

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 8:42 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You're right on the pepto-- it contains salicylates, which fall into the NSAID category, so that's a no.

Tums may help, but they're calcium carbonate which (I believe) isn't absorbed well after RNY.

I would suggest ginger and peppermint; I used both for morning sickness with no trouble. Sugar-free peppermint candies, peppermint oil behind the ears, and peppermint tea are all good choices. I also found some very strong ginger candy at Trader Joe's that worked well.

It would probably be a good idea to call your surgeon, just in case. They may have other suggestions for you, and have other questions to ask to see if there's something more serious going on.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

HLen
on 6/8/15 12:31 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

Sea-band makes Ginger Lozenges.  One of those when I feel sick works great! If it's a stuck food, then papaya enzymes work for me.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Chilipepper
on 6/8/15 5:39 pm

Please see my response above concerning papaya enzyme

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

HLen
on 6/13/15 6:49 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

Thanks for your concern.  I maybe use it once a month.. And I have cleared it with my doctor. 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.