does anyone know if mini gastric bypass or rny gastric bypass is better.

christy0727
on 6/2/15 10:23 am

I had lap band surgery in 8/2005. i went from 340 to 180 in a year. i have now gained it all back. i am sced to have gastric bypass on Sat 6/6/15, but i am now trying to decide if i want to get a rny gastric bypass or a mini gastric bypass. can anyone help me. i have looked on line, but i want to hear from actual people that have had both and tell me about dumping syndrome and acid reflex and there weight loss and there ability to maintain the weight loss. please help me make up my mind.

MsBatt
on 6/2/15 4:10 am, edited 6/2/15 4:10 am

No personal experience with either, but over the years I've not really heard much of anything good about the mini bypass. Given your history with the Band, I urge you to also research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially with those with a BMI greater than 50, or who have had previous dramatic loss and regain. Oh, and while anyone CAN dump, it's very rare with the DS. Do you already have reflux, or are you concerned about developing it post-op?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/2/15 5:54 pm - OH

There is a reason that the vast majority of bariatric surgeons don't do mini bypass and most insurance companies don't cover it.  The track record is NOT good.

There is a forum here (or at least there used to be) for mini-bypass, so you might get feedback from there from people who have actually had it.  I honestly don't have any idea how many people there are, but probably not very many (or they don't post much on the main board).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sor09
on 6/3/15 6:59 pm
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/15 7:50 pm - OH

The OP asked about the mini gastric bypass versus the RNY, not sleeve versus RNY...

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.