Question regarding blood thinners..

tbear1541
on 6/8/15 2:05 am

A friend of mine and I both thought the same thing about this doctor, and you're right, I DON'T want anyone who is not confident enough with his own skills to perform any type of surgery on me. Lap band wasn't even a consideration for me.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/15 7:48 pm - OH

Ditto to what Hislady said.  I have been on Coumadin since 1979 and have had a dozen surgeries.  Each time, the approach is basically the same as what Hislady outlined (with occasional minor variations). I have had three episodes of DVTs, so am considered very high risk for new clots and potential embolisms (although I have never actually had one).

After about 6 surgeries without it, including open hysterectomy, open appendectomy, and open RNY, I finally had an IVC filter placed before I had my plastic surgeries and my gallbladder removal.

If they take you off the warfarin in enough time to get your INR down to "normal", but have you taking a short acting heparin (like Lovenox) while the warfarin action fades, and then reverse the process after surgery, you shouldn't be at a significantly higher risk for a blood clot, and as long as your INR is safe by the time of surgery, you shouldn't be at any higher risk for bleeing than anyone else. 

Don't let the doctor frighten you. Many people who have WLS also have health issues that require blood thinners, so it is done all the time.  You also have the advantage that you don't have a history of clots.  Even those of us who DO have a history of clots just have to be sure to be up and moving around on a regular basis after surgery and to have our INR/PT checked regularly until it is stable on the oral medication post-op.

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

tbear1541
on 6/4/15 6:40 pm

Hello ****rogirl!  I just wanted to thank you for your input, it really does mean a lot to me. I never thought I could feel so happy one moment then have my dreams crushed the next. The doc seems to be reluctant on doing my weight loss surgery, he even mentioned in his email that even if I had it that it may not lower my high blood pressure. Hearing from you and others who have dealt with weight and health issues as well has been very encouraging to say the least...thank you!!!!