Question regarding blood thinners..

tbear1541
on 6/2/15 10:14 pm

Hello all! I am new to this website and how all this works but a good friend of mine recommended I try it, so here I am!  I was wondering if anyone on here has been on blood thinners such as Warfarin prior to Bariatric surgery , or knows someone who has? I just saw the bariatric surgeon today and he basically told me that because I am on blood thinners and aspirin due to the mechanical aortic valve replacement I had done (which is all good now) that I am a high risk for the weight loss surgery. He said I could bleed or get a blood clot, but that it was a chance I would be taking. Basically, ANY surgery I have could do this. So has anyone had this issue or know someone who has? What was the outcome? Please help so I can give my surgeon my decision. Thanks!

Teresa

Shel25
on 6/3/15 8:22 am

Hi Teresa,

You are not alone in being "high risk."  And people who are high risk for bleeding and clotting have surgery all of the time.  Your surgeon and your anticoagulation clinic (if you have an anticoagulation clinic) will come up with a procedure plan to minimize your time off blood thinners but also balance the risk of bleeding.  

I am not trying to minimize the very real risk of bleeding or clotting.  Even for a patient not on blood thinners there is an increased risk of both. Only you can decide if the benefit of weight loss surgery outweighs the risk.  

My post is only to say that surgical teams and anticoagulation clinics are well practiced at managing the risk as best possible.  As you collect info, you might ask the surgeon for a general idea of what your anticoagulation plan will look like.

Good luck,

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

tbear1541
on 6/3/15 10:00 am

Hi Shel! Thanks so much for your input,  it was very helpful as well as insightful. I do have an anticoagulation clinic and the pharmacist there that I spoke to seemed to say the same, but I just wanted to get feedback from others who might know more or have had the same experience. Thank you sooo much! 

Teresa

tbear1541
on 6/3/15 10:07 am

I just want to thank all who have given me their feedback, it is truly inspiring to hear the positivity. My cardiologist didn't seemed to concerned and said that the anticoagulation clinic would just adjust my dosage as needed. It just seemed like the surgeon tried to talk me out of the surgery. So far all the research and feedback I have gotten has been pretty positive...thanks to all!

Teresa

happytoloose
on 6/3/15 9:20 am

Well,

My surgeon had me stop my warfin 7 days prior to the procedure and start again 2 days postop.

But,

About 1 month after surgery, I had my INR checked. It is suppose to be in the 2 to 3 range. The day after I had my blood drawn for the test the lab called me at home, told me to go to the ER as soon as possible because my INR was over 9.

When checked at the ER an hour later, it was 15. Kinda scary. They gave me a bunch of Vitamin K, sent me home, and told me not to play with knives for a few days. LOL

My dr. cut my dose in half. A week later, my INR was back to 2.3 where it belongs.

7 months out now and no more issues. 

Ready2goNOW
on 6/3/15 9:38 am

Welcome!

I am on warfarin for afib.

I am 4 months into the pre-op phase and will be cleared for surgery after my 6th visit to my nutritionist.

My surgeon did not appear concerned about me having the sleeve. He basically said if I was cleared by my cardiologist I was good to go, and I am cleared by her, Like the poster above said many patients on blood thinners have surgery...scheduled & otherwise. I have had a colonoscopy while under anesthesia and was told to stop my warfarin 48 hours prior to the procedure. Yes, this is a 30 minute thing, but still I was okay.

I just had my pre-op required EGD. Again, I was told to go off the warfarin 48 hours before the procedure and I was fine before & after. I hope to do fine when I have the longer WLS. I am also 58 so being on a blood thinner & older would seem to raise my risk, but no concerns from my surgeon.

I know everyone's health is unique so I would definitely look at all your issues, maybe look for more specific info on this board by going to the magnifying glass up top of the screen & typing in 'blood thinner's & research how others maybe in a very similar situation handled this. and just my 2 cents, but wouldn't your cardiologist know best?

Best of luck!

Kathy

Hislady
on 6/3/15 3:21 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've taken warfarin for over 30 yrs and had over a dozen surgeries in that time never had a problem with any of them. My docs always have me stop the warfarin  a week before and use lovonox shots which are a short acting thinner. Then post op I start the warfarin back up the day after surgery and use the lovonox until tests show a proper INR. So it is all very easily handled!!

tbear1541
on 6/4/15 6:36 pm

Hello Hislady!  Thank you for the information, every little bit is helpful and even encouraging. I just got an email from the weight loss surgeon , now he is telling me that he spoke with other surgeons and that they all agreed with him as far as me being a "high risk" and none of them would recommend surgery. He said I am high risk for bleeding and even a stroke because I have a mechanical heart valve and take the blood thinners for it, so I am getting a second opinion since he refuses to do after he told me on Tuesday he would if I decided to go through with it. I am still not going to give up on this dream to be healthier and happier.

Hislady
on 6/5/15 4:28 pm - Vancouver, WA

Yes if I were you I would find another surgeon who is more sure of his skills. You wouldn't want this guy operating on you anyway with his attitude. They can even put an IVC filter in you to help keep the clots away from your heart and lungs so I think this guy just isn't very skilled at dealing with higher risk people.  Yes we are higher risk because of the blood thinner but they do this surgery on people with far more health issues than that. This guy just doesn't hasve the knowledge to do it.

Hislady
on 6/5/15 4:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

Just promise me you won't have a lap band because that is nearly a guarantee for having a second surgery because they don't work!!!