cant keep weight up if i dont constantly eat

TrishG64
on 5/30/15 9:36 pm - Duluth, MN

Hi all, was hoping to find the name of a long ago post where there was a medication suggested to gain weight or appetite.I can't seem to keep my weight up and have lost a lot of muscle tone, I'm six years out after having the rny, I'm struggling with body issues and hate that I've gotten so saggy, I'd like to put some weight back on but can't get past 123lbs at 5'2" I feel I'm a bit under weight..any comments or suggestions would be great.

TIA

Trish

Height: 5'2"
NYMom222
on 5/30/15 11:49 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

What a turn of events from having surgery. Did you ever think pre-surgery this would be your problem? As far as saggy... I think that comes with the territory. I still have weight to lose and I am so saggy... plastic surgery is really the only way out of that. Exercise and building muscle can make things look better, but the sagginess will still be there. Your BMI is right in the middle of the range for your height. My only suggestion, because you don't want to get into bad habits that may make you gain too much weight... is maybe add back in a protein shake if you don't drink one anymore. Drinking extra calories would be easier as our pouches only have so much room. Have you visited the surgeon lately, had bloodwork and all those good things... just to make sure everything is OK? have you considered talking to a therapist about your body issues? Gaining weight won't necessarily make them go away.... Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MsBatt
on 5/31/15 4:02 am

Some people who lose too much weight take pancreatic enzymes to help the absorb more of what they eat. Have you talked with your doctors about this possibility?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/31/15 9:46 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Have you suddenly lost more weight? Your BMI is 22.5, and 123 pounds at 5'2" is not too low by any means. Keeping up muscle is more a function of lifting weights than eating more -- more food without exercise will just gain you more fat, not muscle.

I suspect you problem has less to do with sufficient nutrition and has more to do with body issues. Have you met with a doctor or therapist?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/15 11:13 am - OH

What Grim said. Because you're saggy does NOT mean you are underweight...

If you really want to put extra weight back on, though, you definitely don't need medication to do it.  You can simply add a few more calories, fats, and carbs every day into your existing diet.  

You can add a one ounce serving of nuts (about 20 almonds, which is what I usually eat) every day for a snack (which would be an extra 165 calories right there). you can add a protein shake every day.  You can replace low fat or fat free items with regular full fat items, and you can add some additional carbs with fruits or starchy vegetables. You can put extra cheese on items.  None of these are unhealthy, but definitely will add calories and/or carbs which will make the scale creep up.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.