Need... *ahem* Constipation Advice

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/29/15 10:59 am

I was not familiar with Dulcalax as laxative. Only still softtener. I guess they make it any way they want. 

As a child i would hold BM while traveling.. Even now.it is more mental. Ugh...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poplargreys
on 5/29/15 10:49 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I have a cup of black coffee (or add a splash of rtd protein) every morning, and within an hour I'm good to go... literally.

WereYorkie
on 5/29/15 11:55 am
VSG on 05/11/15

Surgeon does not allow black coffee... not even decaf... hardest thing I've ever had to give up. :(

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

jenorama
on 5/29/15 11:55 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Pre surgery I was a poster child for regularity without taking any special steps.  Post surgery, I've had to take some proactive steps to keep things going.  I do a scoop of Benefiber in my morning protein shake and I take a daily capsule probiotic in addition to keeping up my water intake.  The probiotic is a recent addition and it has made the most difference.  A week after surgery I actually had an impaction issue and my surgeon recommended Miralax for a wee****il things were back to normal.  Check with your PCP or surgeon and see what they advise to get you over this hump. :D

Jen

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/29/15 12:00 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I add a half capful of Miralax to my morning protein shake five days a week.

I take two Fiber gummies daily.

I take one Culturelle probiotic daily.

I'm regular as rain every day.  No more pain, and I'm positive that it's the Miralax that makes a difference.  YMMV.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

shirleym
on 5/29/15 12:17 pm - Springfield, OR

I had terrible constipation issues.  I finally found a balance of 3 stool softeners and one magnesium citrate capsule (150 mg) per day that keeps me regular.

Valerie G.
on 5/29/15 6:39 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you still on any painkillers?  They tend to constipate so if you can transition to something OTC that would help.

Otherwise - a stool softenr, with plenty of fluids and fat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Pegasus_AM
on 5/29/15 7:01 pm
Pegasus_AM
on 5/29/15 7:04 pm
On May 28, 2015 at 10:20 PM Pacific Time, WereYorkie wrote:

Well, it finally happened... at this moment I am sitting on a pillow! :( 

I was totally low carb pre-surgrey from March 1 to May 8th when I went to liquid only. I lost 29 pounds in that time and then from May 8 to May 11, I lost another 8 pounds from the liquid only. Since then...A WHOPPING 3.4 POUNDS!!! :( And that even fluxuates daily. I swear I am trying to be patient, but today has really tipped me over the mental edge.

I had to use a fleet enema for the first time in my life. I'm still uncomfortable sitting... I'm hoping I will feel better tomorrow morning. I've got more than 64 ounces of fluid in... This past Monday I was allowed to advance to pureed foods, but now I'm afraid that the same thing will happen again. 

Should I stay on fluids for the next few days and try again later?

I know a lot of you use Mirelax (spelling?) but all I have at the moment is Dulcalax... is that okay to take so I don't experience this same kind of pain tomorrow? 

I hope I never go through this again. :( 

Fiber comes in 2 different types Soluble and Insoluble. Soluble Fiber clumps and gets sticky when wet adding bulk to stool example Oata, Bran,etc.. Insoluble Fiber doesn't absorb water so it doesn't digest easily and usually helps things pass through the colon more quickly example fruits/veggies. This is my understanding I am by no means an expert but this is how my Dietitian explained it to me , when I complained of episodes of constipation

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Cath3rine
on 6/2/15 4:16 am

My surgery is today, so.... this is just a constipation aid.... from a floor nurse, I used to work oncology and pain meds cause constipation and I hate giving a bunch of meds that could potentially make my patient have an issue.... we used warm prune juice with melted butter... sounds gross.... but actually tastes pretty good and works gently. We call it a brown cow. I am not sure how much you can consume. I hear our tummies are about the size of a banana post op..... but it may be worth a shot. 

Hugs! You WILL feel better soon . 

Cathy