weight gain after the 18 month honeymoon phase

plusminusdiva63
on 5/28/15 11:24 am

I had RNY in 2006 starting weight 337 went down to 216,then started gaing weight before goal. I have regained 50lbs. Asked DOC about revision. After endoscopy,DOC told me the structure  was still intact,l. Did this happen to anyone else? 

rocky513
on 5/28/15 6:35 am, edited 5/28/15 6:36 am - WI

If your pouch is still working, the good news is, you can still use it to lose the regain.  You just have to get back to basics.  

Eat dense protein first and then non-starchy veggies.  

Cut all simple carbs ( Bread, crackers, chips, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.) out of your life.  It will be white knuckle for a week or two, but after a while, you will stop craving them.

Limit fruit to one serving per day ( be mindful that a serving of fruit is 1/2 apple or 1/2 banana, 3-4 strawberries).  The body sees fruit as sugar and eating too much of it will slow or stop your weight loss.

Eat 6 very small (200 -300 calorie) meals daily, spaced about 3-4 hours apart.  If you feel hungry IGNORE IT.  Anyone can wait 3-4 hours until they eat again.  Hunger is not an emergency.  Nothing bad will happen to you if you wait until your next meal time.  

Measure and weigh everything you eat.  Portion sizes tend to creep up on us.  We obese people have a skewed idea of what a proper portion looks like.  The most successful WLS patients track their food forever.  I am 5 year out and still measure everything.  I know that if I guessed at portion sizes, I would over-eat.  At 5 years out, I eat between 1 cup and 1 1/2 cups per meal.  Never over that amount.  It usually adds up to about 1200 calories daily.  I am within 5 pounds of my lowest weight and maintaining.  Don't eat until you feel full.  Most of us have used that full feeling as an emotional crutch.   Measure out your portion size and then STOP EATING.  We have to re-learn how to feed our bodies and learn to be satisfied instead of full.   We actually need very little food to thrive.  If you are gaining weight, you are eating too much.  It really is that simple. 

Drink at least 64 ounce of fluid daily.  That is the MINIMUM amount needed.  I drink closer to 120 ounces in order to feel good.  Everyone is different.  You will need to find your own optimum amount.

Don't drink with your meals or for at least 30 minutes after you eat.   The two leading factors in weight re-gain are excessive carb consumption and drinking with meals.  Drinking with your meals pushes the food through your pouch faster and you can eat more volume, causing weight gain.  It also will make you feel hungrier, faster.  

You have to change the way you interact with food permanently.  Food is simply fuel for the body, nothing more.  It's not for entertainment or celebrating.  It's not your source of happiness or a stress reliever.  It's fuel.  You wouldn't put kerosene in your car.  Your car would be ruined.   If you put the wrong things in your body, you break down.  

You still have a very powerful tool in your arsenal, but you have to use it the way it was designed to be used.

The bad news is most insurance companies have a one weight loss surgery per lifetime clause in their policies.  If you have been checked and your pouch is still intact, with no mechanical failure, You likely won't be approved for a revision surgery.

You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

plusminusdiva63
on 5/29/15 7:05 am

Thank you so much,I now feel encouraged. I wiil put  into practice the things you suggested

Zee Starrlite
on 5/28/15 1:37 pm

You regained even though you follow to a tee your lifetime post op diet and exercise?

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/15 8:28 am - OH

Ditto to everything that Rocky said. The doctor has confirmed that you are physcially just fine, so that leaves only what (and how much) you are eating as the culprit.  A revision will not help  in such a case unless you want to go "whole hog" and have the DS done.  Even that, however, is not a guarantee of success if you do not have the eating under control.

Take Rocky's suggestions.  You CAN lose the regain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/29/15 7:18 pm

What Rocky and Laura said.

But I want to warn you that you probably wont lose weight as quickly as you did immediately after the operation (i.e. 2 lbs per day).  You will probably have to work to see 2 lbs per week.

I stumbled while allegedly still in the honeymoon and gained something like 4-6 lbs (i cant remember how much).  It took me about 3-5 weeks to lose it.  That was being consistent and working out.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !