What do you eat in a day?

rachaelv
on 5/28/15 9:14 am - Williston, ND

Hello, I am working on getting back on track and am just curious what you all eat in a day and how much food are you eating? I am having a hard time remembering the "basics" to get on the wagon again. Please Help!!!

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 9:27 am - UK

It will vary greatly depending on which surgery you have had. For example, banded people usually eat over 1000 cals a day, sleeved and bypassed people eat much less at first although I believe they eat more later on. So how far post-op you are is also relevant. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

rachaelv
on 5/28/15 9:35 am - Williston, ND

I had the lap band 5 years ago does that help?

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 9:50 am - UK

Yes. I should also have asked if you still need to lose weight!  I am banded myself (9 years) and have been below goal since 2007 except for three blips when I regained a bit, I am currently trying to lose a few pounds before going on holiday!

This is the sort of thing I eat. 

Breakfast, I could eat breakfast without problem but I am never hungry then. So I have one large, skinny latte.

Lunch.   Thick soup and small slice wholemeal bread / half a jacket potato with salad/ small ham sandwich / crackers and hummus.

Dinner     Salmon with beans, few tiny potatoes / chicken with salad / chilli with one tablespoon rice. 

Snacks - some days I eat these, some days I don't,  almonds, fruit, yoghurt, cheese.

I don't actually count but every now and then I check and it is always around 1100-1200 calories. But I always eat the most dense food first - usually that's the meat. 

I actually eat a pretty normal diet, just not much and avoiding having too many sugary foods and not too much fat. I do NOT eat fat-free but I do try when trying to lose to go sugar-free. 

rachaelv
on 5/28/15 10:01 am - Williston, ND

Thank you! I unfortunately have gained pretty much everything back. I had to be unfilled this week to give my stomach a rest as I was way too tight. I am trying so hard to get back on track again. I have about 150 pounds to lose. I am usually the type of person to want to stick to the same things every day because I do better with less choices if that makes sense. So this is how my day has looked so far

B: Atkins shake and a banana

S: Hard boiled egg 1oz of cheese and some pistacchios because I was starving

L: (will be) chicken on veggies with cheese on top

D: (will be) pork chop with veggies

I may have another snack between lunch and dinner if I need it but right now I feel like I am soo hungry!! I know it is because I am unfilled but it is very hard to stay on track being so hungry. I have had over 60 ounces of water already today.

Does that sound right? How much in portion sizes should we be eating at a time I want to get back into measuring

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 10:19 am - UK

Why a protein shake? Liquids don't take away our hunger. I know I have coffee for breakfast but that's because I am not hungry. Solid protein keeps us full longer- maybe try two eggs? Unless you find morning eating difficult - some banded people do. 

if you are unfilled and the band is not helping, could you try the WEigh****chers trick of extra veggies, things like carrots, lettuce etc.  you can eat lots without taking in many calories. 

Some swear by low carb - that isn't my way but it works for many.

Portion sizes,  meat about the size of a standard deck of cards. Veggies like potatoes, two or three tiny ones, veggies like carrots maybe two or three tablespoons. 

Its not the way I do it but I suggest you spend at least a week measuring and recording everything which lasses your lips. That way you can be sure you are doing it right. 

rachaelv
on 5/28/15 10:23 am - Williston, ND

I do a shake because it has always been harder for me in the morning and because I love the taste of them. They taste like frozen coffee. I have had a shake every morning pretty much since surgery. I am currently able to eat breakfast without being filled but I still enjoy the shake

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 10:25 am - UK

Fair enough! We do what works for us! 

rachaelv
on 5/28/15 10:26 am - Williston, ND

Thanks so much!! I will definitely try the things you suggested!

akanikkie
on 5/28/15 11:07 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I am 5 weeks post-op VSG.  I, too, drink a protein drink in the morning and had two turkey sausage patties.  Lunch is a salmon burger with a slice of jalapeno lite cheese on top and avocado/salsa.  Not sure for dinner but probably chicken, feta, a few green olives and a little light sour cream.  Wishing you the best!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321