Support groups in Minneapolis

Rachie_gerbergirl
on 5/22/15 5:28 pm

Hi,

I am two years post gastric bypass. The first year post op I followed all the rules and took really good care of myself. The second year has been more challenging. Nine months ago I had a bilateral mastectomy and am still in the process of reconstruction.This has been unbelievably stressful for me. I have not been taking care of my new tummy, and have been grazing and eating the wrong food. I am now feeling hunger, emotional and physical and am eating for emotional reasons. I have gained about 10 pounds. I am terrified and that self loathing and doubt are creeping in. I think I need people to talk to. I need to start from square one with everything. Does anyone know of a support group in the Twin Cities that meets more than once a month? I would love feedback.

Thank you!!!

Tammy H.
on 5/24/15 4:52 am - Greenville, OH

Hi...I don't know of any support groups in your area because I am from Ohio...When I had my surgery 9 years ago, there wasn't any groups around my area either...There was one that was an hour away, but I didn't want to drive that far, especially in the winter...So, I started my own support group...We are called * Little by Little*...The church that I belong to allows our group to meet in the basement...We have access to a full sized kitchen, to where we do healthy food demonstrations at times...You might consider asking a friend to help you, and start your own group...If not interested in doing something like that, I wish you luck in finding a great group to join...Tammy

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

Rachie_gerbergirl
on 5/24/15 9:10 am

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for your suggestion! Your group sounds great. A gentleman on this forum has let me know of a local group! I am really looking forward to meeting people that understand life after WLS.

Thanks!

Rachel

Qajohn
on 5/24/15 4:58 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

@Rachie - We have a private facebook group in Minneapolis. Send me a PM with your facebook ID and I can send you an invite (I think - I've actually never done it myself :)). Anyway, the group meets every saturday morning for coffee alternating between Eagen and Burnsville. Not everyone shows up, but its a great group of people. It not affilliated with any program, just a group of WLS friends getting together.