Disaster. Worst decision of my life...

Kittycatty
on 6/8/15 11:03 am

4 weeks post op today. Things are no better really. Incision still infected and draining. Still having loose BMs. Zero energy. But most of all I can't seem to swallow anything. Even water gets caught in my chest and I throw it up. I'm close to dehydration and just can't believe this is no better. I'm feeling beyond hopeless. I see my surgeon on Wednesday. I'm not sure what to hope for. WILL THIS EVER END?????????

Kittycatty
on 6/30/15 1:16 am

7 weeks post op. Still can't swallow. I wish I had never had this surgery.

Kittycatty
on 7/16/15 3:52 pm, edited 7/17/15 12:35 am

9 weeks post op. Worst decision. Throwing up several times a day. Pain on left side is severe and constant. 

AmyDee123
on 7/16/15 4:13 pm, edited 7/16/15 4:17 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

What is your surgeon or PCP saying?  Have you just not gone to them with this part of your complications?  Is there anything they are trying to do?  Throwing up is not normal this often.  Are they thinking stricture?

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

TracyLynn2BThin
on 7/17/15 3:54 am

I know how incredibly hopeless you are feeling right now. I hope by sharing what I went through it will give you some hope. I had a RNY 7/7/2014. The surgeon start to finish was done in 30 minutes. I seemed to have no problems in the hospital and was sent home day 3. The 2nd night I was home- where my stomach connected to my intestines came undone and emptied into my abdominal cavity. I was hospitalized for 10 days that time. They ran a course of serious antibiotics and put a big ole drain in my left side. I could not eat or drink anything. I was nauseous and vomiting all the time. I was home about 3 days when I started to experience a horrible stabbing pain in my left side and I could not get comfortable. I called the doctor and he said to take more pain meds. None of this helped. I remember telling my mom " I think I've killed myself". Those exact words. And regretting very much having the procedure. Vowing to tell others not to have it also! We ended up going to the ER. An MRI showed that the drain had become dislodged and the doctor there removed it. He gave me a pain shot and sent me home with a return visit to see my surgeon Monday. So, Monday rolls around and my surgeon sees me- he goes completely white- sends me immediately for a MRI. Where the drain had dislodged, it had punctured my diaphragm and left lung that was now collapsed oh and now I have pneumonia AND my kidneys have STOPPED functioning due to all the antibiotics and dye from multiple X-Rays. Off to an Acute Care hospitalization for over a week for me! I am miserable from the time of my surgery and wondering why me? I haven't done anything I wasn't suppose to do. I followed EVERY rule. This was the biggest mistake of my life! This was suppose to save my life...not put it in danger! 

I struggled for SIX months with health issues all related to my surgery. From minor things like constipation to serious diarrhea to my kidneys resolving themselves into an acceptable high range that would not require dialysis (my kidneys are still damaged from this and I have high Creatin levels but they are "acceptable"- and being watched) I could not eat, get my vitamins in or water in...I was SO nauseous all the time and vomited so much :( I would have to get IV fluids in the doctors office frequently. EVERYONE was worried and scared. Oh and my weight loss... Yeah my body wasn't dropping it like it should.. I was losing but not at the rate it would when healthy.

Now, for the good- everything turned around mid six month point! I am able to get my fluids in ( I personally flavor my water). I can get those vitamins down! I can eat- get my protein  in and am inspired by the posts I see in the RNY forum "what is on your menu today?" I am not nauseous and vomiting!!! I am limited as my pouch does not tolerate meat at all or bread. Hey...give it time with the meat and don't need the bread. I feel so good that I start exercising... Feel even better and start a group personal training 8 week session. Now everyday I wake up early to get my cardio and weight training in. My labs are ALL within normal ranges with the kidneys as stated above. My pre existing medical conditions related to being over weight Resolved :) Oh and my weight??? 1 year and 10 days out I am 15 pounds from goal.. That is 155 pounds GONE :)  

So yes, it was a real struggle in the beginning and you are experiencing that right now. Hang in there! In the end it will turn around!! Best wishes and you are in my thoughts and prayers!

♠ RNY 7/07/14 HW 320/CW 143.4 (09/23/2015) GW 150 ♠

Chilipepper
on 7/17/15 7:30 am

I am sorry you got off to such a rotten start but as they say "this too shall pass". 

You will get back on your feet and get in the rythym of your new lifestyle and this will be a distant memory. Just get thru each day for now. Rest, recuperate and don't push yourself. 

We are all pulling for you!!

take care

Chili

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kittycatty
on 7/20/15 7:38 am

Thx everyone for all the support.