I admit it... I need to be talked down....

WereYorkie
on 5/23/15 3:04 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

I am 12 days post op.... i KNOW it's PMS time but $%^&#!!!! I lost 30 pounds pre-surgery... and then I lost a whopping 8 pounds from the Friday to Monday morning (the day of my surgery. I was on a rrroll!

And now I've come to a screeching halt. 1 pound in 12 days... Seriously?! I'm healing fabulously. Walking fine... Rarely need to take a pain pill. Getting in about 60-70 oz of fluids (including my protein shakes). I have having no problems with BM's.  I am still on full liquids until Monday when I graduate to pureed foods.

I have PCOS but I was so NOT expecting this. They took me off Metformin this week because my blood sugars are ranging from 80-100 on a daily basis...

I am telling myself just to let it work it's way through this but at what point should I call my WLS coordinator and hyperventilate in her ear??

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/15 4:39 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I can't give you an explanation, but I can at least sympathize. I lost almost 80 lbs pre-op. Since surgery almost 3 weeks ago, I'm down another whopping 6 lbs. I even thought I was eating too much, saw what people on here were eating, and scaled back my calories as a result.

The only good explanation I've read (and I have no idea if it's true or not) is that when you're first losing weight, your body uses up its glycogen stores, dumping a lot of water weight in the process. As you start burning fat, you also start rebuilding your glycogen reserves, which also includes retaining water. Those of us who lose a significant amount pre-op seem to either stall a lot sooner post-op or never have the immediate "big drop" that others do post-op because our bodies were already in losing mode.

AmyDee123
on 5/23/15 5:01 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

totally and completely normal.  some people put on weight.  its an effect from just having major surgery and your body healing.  Its a combination of the body retaining water, and making new blood, and your body reacting to the trauma of being cut open.  just stay off the scale, keep doing what you are supposed to be doing, and weigh in at a later date.  Be happy you have lost, and that you will soon be losing a lot!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Gwen M.
on 5/23/15 5:04 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal.  Stalls happen throughout this entire process.  (Not that you're stalled, you still lost a pound!)  

Stick to your plan and you'll reach your goal.  Try to focus on the trend of your weight loss instead of day to day fluctuations (or lack thereof).  I use TrendWeight to help me with that - many find that only weighing weekly helps.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

WereYorkie
on 5/23/15 7:15 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Thank you... I know I've read others venting the same thing but I just needed to hear (or read) it... I rrrrrreally hope the weight starts to drop soon....

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Eggface
on 5/25/15 9:04 am - Sunny Southern, CA

It's frustrating but normal... and will happen many many times as you are losing. The scale doesn't tell the whole story, measurements, health gains, photos, clothing sizes, energy level, new/renewed experiences... try not to be a slave to that scale # because even when that magic goal # appears... the next day it's wake up to more of the same... concentrate on making those life changes you'll be able to continue forever. 

Best to you! 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com