Low carb diet does work.. -

Ready2goNOW
on 5/23/15 9:31 am

I am still pre-op so maybe this might be helpful on getting you back on track....

I agree that high protein/low carb is the way to go for many of us food addicts. I tried off & on for almost 30 years to lose weight & since I have been meeting with a dietician for the surgery I have been successful in losing weight. 41 pounds in 3 months!

I ALWAYS eat my protein 1st at meals. I try to eat my fruit and/or vegtable after the protein & then the carb. I almost never have drinks w/calories. And as per the recommendation of many on the boards I walk daily, but b/c of knee pain break it down into 5-10-or 15 minute segments a couple times/daily depending on how I feel.

There are foods I will not go near for fear of 'relapse.' Cereal was a huge trigger for me...I could eat a box at one sitting! I try to limit pasta to once/week. I avoid fast food totally. And I pre-plan my choices if we are eating out at a real restaurant.

I PERSONALLY believe us food junkies have some kind of gene or predisposition to 'freak out' on carbs. we don't have the 'switch' to 'turn off' the cravings eating them will eventually cause. "Burying' them w/protein & vegtables has been my best bet to 'drown out' MY cravings.

Kathy

AmyDee123
on 5/23/15 9:48 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I don't know if it is a gene or what, but I fully admit to the "freak out" with carbs.  I LOVE CARBS!  I am a definite addict of carbs.  And it makes me go into a spiral if I have them.  I am a lover of bread, and pasta, and sauces, and starches.  I don't eat many sweets, but I do love some dark chocolate with wine or scotch occasionally.  If I have any of this, I have to have all of this.  So I have to admit to myself that I can't have any of this, and when I get into maintenance I have to decide if it is worth the risk of a cheat every now and then to enjoy it.  But I have resigned to looking at it like a drug addict.  You can't let a heroin addict have a taste after he's been clean for a while and is finally healthy just to enjoy what he misses.  The same with alcohol.  I will most likely, as an addict, be the same with bad carbs.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

TexasTerritory
on 5/23/15 12:16 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
This approach works for me.