Always hungry

kateyeburger
on 5/21/15 7:44 pm - mineral ridge, OH

Can anyone explain why, after 8 years, would I be constantly hungry??

hukunamatata

' HE  WHO  HESITATES  IS  LUNCH'
kathkeb
on 5/21/15 9:53 pm

It would help to know which surgery you had.

Have you increased your simple carb intake?  Sugar and simple carbs make me very hungry and set off a vicious cycle.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 5/21/15 11:45 pm - UK

Can't really answer without knowing which surgery you have had.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ladytazz
on 5/22/15 12:46 am

Without more information it is hard to answer.

Is this a new thing or have you always struggled with hunger.

If it's new, has anything changed?  Eating more carbs?  On a new medication?

With my first surgery I was also constantly hungry.  I think it was for several reasons, too little restriction, too many carbs and a medication that was known to cause weight gain.

I had to resolve each of those issues.  I had a revision to get restriction, I changed my eating to avoid the refined carbs, the junk food that never satisfied me.  And I found a medication that helped me without causing an increase in my appetite.

Hunger can be physical, mental, emotional or all of the above.  To find out why you are always hungry you need to find out what you are hungry for, food, comfort, oblivion?

Not knowing any details I can only ask whether or not you have talked to your doctor and have you had any kind of tests?

I hope you find out what is going on so it can be fixed.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/22/15 2:31 am

Including carbs in my diet makes me hungry for more and more and more. Not only simple carbs, but also more complex, like grains, starchy carbs, fruits. Once i start eating more, i want more. Ugh...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AmyDee123
on 5/22/15 7:51 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I, too, would like to know what surgery you had.  Also, I read through your blog posts, it seems you have some weaknesses you have not let go of.  Still eating breads and other carbs will just make you hungry all the time, as others have mentioned.  But it could also be an acid issue.  I have the band, and when its filled in any way I have severe acid reflux and other acid issues.  This gives me a feeling of being constantly hungry, even when I am full.  It causes me, with the band, to over eat.  Its why I am having a revision.  If you have switched your diet to a low carb diet with leafy greens being your primary source of carbs you might find your hunger resolves itself.  If you are still starving all the time after 2 weeks of that you might have a physical issue you need to take up with your doctor.  Good luck!!

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Jennifer K.
on 5/22/15 12:02 pm - Phoenix , AZ

At being almost 9 years out myself, my first suggestion would be to look at what you are eating.

You may possibly need to go back to food logging/weighing measuring to get a better idea of what you are eating and how much of it. Are you eating overall healthy? Fruits, veggies, protein, good carbs? Or a lot of "empty" calories which trigger hunger.

If you have recently changed your exercise routine you may need to adjust your food intake as well.

A helpful took I have used before in the past was a metabolism test to find out how many calories your body needs to lose weight, gain weight or maintain weight... the YMCA here does it, its around $125 or so... then you can couple that with a nutritionist if need be to assist you with your eating if it has gotten off track.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

kateyeburger
on 5/22/15 7:28 pm - mineral ridge, OH

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I had RNY in 2007. I have been eating way more carbs and really no****ching what I eat. I've been eating thoughtlessly tho not sure why. Thank you, I have a lot of thinking to do.

hukunamatata

' HE  WHO  HESITATES  IS  LUNCH'
Valerie G.
on 5/23/15 9:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay this helps.

Carbs are not only the devil - but they are physically addictive. 

Another common problem with RNY is when you stretch the stoma food empties from the pouch very quickly leaving you feeling empty again.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes