Organic Food?

Willie H.
on 5/22/15 6:34 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Funny, but realistically true. Good sense of humor - made my day. As in ALL things-balance is needed. Thanks!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

MyLady Heidi
on 5/22/15 3:22 am, edited 5/22/15 3:22 am

Organic, non gmo is the only way to feed your children, their future depends on it.  I do not buy into the need to be completely gluten free, but that is my personal choice.  Organic non gmo foods are more expensive for a reason but to me completely worth the extra cost.  Eating lean healthy poultry, limiting red meat, eating organic vegetables, fruits and grains have been the long term key to my ten years of success.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/22/15 12:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On May 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM Pacific Time, MyLady Heidi wrote:

Organic, non gmo is the only way to feed your children, their future depends on it.  I do not buy into the need to be completely gluten free, but that is my personal choice.  Organic non gmo foods are more expensive for a reason but to me completely worth the extra cost.  Eating lean healthy poultry, limiting red meat, eating organic vegetables, fruits and grains have been the long term key to my ten years of success.

Science says that organic isn't necessarily any better for children, much less to the point that it affects them long-term. (If you have any contrary research, I'd love to see it.)

With an exploding global population and increasingly-scarce resources, I would argue that the future of the world's children ACTUALLY depends on our ability to create higher crop yields, particularly through GMO technology.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MyLady Heidi
on 5/26/15 9:13 pm

I grew up in CT near Pfizer pharmaceuticals, their creation of vitamins and dumping of waste in the Thames river created a river so toxic and polluted that virtually no life could be sustained in it and the fish that did live were mutated.  I will never support toxic chemicals added to our food in the way of pesticides or genetic engineering.  Treat your children any way you choose, I opt for my son to eat healthy organic non gmo food because it is my choice as a proud American to speak up against Monsanto and big chemical companies that are compromising our health and future.  You want to use Round-up be my guest, 58% of the honey you eat contains it because the honey bees are poisoned.  The link between gmo's and autism is already scientifically established, more risks I am unwilling to take.  Autoimmune diseases have an origin, I believe it's our chemical, preservative filled diet, if you wish to flirt with disaster go for it.  I prefer to pull my head out of my ass and become an informed consumer.  Enjoy trolling my posts.

on 5/26/15 10:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On May 26, 2015 at 9:13 PM Pacific Time, MyLady Heidi wrote:

I grew up in CT near Pfizer pharmaceuticals, their creation of vitamins and dumping of waste in the Thames river created a river so toxic and polluted that virtually no life could be sustained in it and the fish that did live were mutated.  I will never support toxic chemicals added to our food in the way of pesticides or genetic engineering.  Treat your children any way you choose, I opt for my son to eat healthy organic non gmo food because it is my choice as a proud American to speak up against Monsanto and big chemical companies that are compromising our health and future.  You want to use Round-up be my guest, 58% of the honey you eat contains it because the honey bees are poisoned.  The link between gmo's and autism is already scientifically established, more risks I am unwilling to take.  Autoimmune diseases have an origin, I believe it's our chemical, preservative filled diet, if you wish to flirt with disaster go for it.  I prefer to pull my head out of my ass and become an informed consumer.  Enjoy trolling my posts.

There is no link between GMO and autism.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/01/05/will-my-child-be-born-autistic-if-i-eat-gmos-a-scientists-view/

I was unaware that providing dissenting, science-based opinions was considered "trolling."

MyLady Heidi
on 5/27/15 6:33 pm

You quote the first Google article you find as your facts. Please I had an expectation of at least something.  Although I really don't know why, all you want to do is disagree with anything I post. What is your actual problem with me?  The fact I am not afraid of your bully tactics or that I am highly successful and you are or aren't.  I have no clue really because your only interaction with me is an attempt to diss me.  Why again? 

on 5/27/15 6:39 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On May 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM Pacific Time, MyLady Heidi wrote:

You quote the first Google article you find as your facts. Please I had an expectation of at least something.  Although I really don't know why, all you want to do is disagree with anything I post. What is your actual problem with me?  The fact I am not afraid of your bully tactics or that I am highly successful and you are or aren't.  I have no clue really because your only interaction with me is an attempt to diss me.  Why again? 

I have no problem with you, I have a problem with bad science. Your post is not the first I've ever posted contradictory research for. When I see misinformation, here on OH or elsewhere, I think it's important to present correct research, so that others *****ad it may see scientifically-sound information.

If you think posting educational resources is "bullying," that's not my problem.

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/15 10:38 pm - Albany, OR

Most of this is inaccurate. 

Capogirl
on 5/27/15 7:17 am

We eat a lot of organic in my house.  Most of it we are able to get at Stop & Shop here in Mass.; which has a counterpart in other parts of the country called Giant foods.   We also have a local store called "Good Health" where we can get organics.  We purchase organic eggs, milk, chicken, vegetables and fruits as often as we can get them which is usually all the time. For fish, we usually only purchase "fresh catch" not farm raised. When we can't get organic, we try to look for the items with the fewest ingredients possible.   I do not eat bread, but my family does, my oldest likes the Ezekiel bread and my husband and youngest prefer breads from the "Vermont Bread Company".  None of us like soy products, but my oldest usually will drink almond milk as she is allergic to cows milk.  For yogurt she buys the coconut based kind.  You can purchase organic cereals, I personally do not like them, I choose to forego cereal instead of eating cardboard.

Hope this helps you out a bit. 

Willie H.
on 5/27/15 10:28 am
VSG on 08/26/14

From all the replies I can see that there has to be balance and forethought. Not go on a tangent or to an extreme. I'm going to shop around, we have a lot of farms here as well as stores that sell organic and natural foods so I'm going to pick and choose and do things gradually. The best part is that years ago, well months ago I would not have even considered this. Everything as far as food was concerned was on "automatic!" Now I am slowing becoming "selective" in choosing what to buy and what to eat for myself and my family. That for me-is priceless!!! Thank you.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"