Organic Food?

Valerie G.
on 5/21/15 4:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

IMO - it's a bunch of hooey.  I totally support clean eating instead. "Organic" is a certification that comes with a bunch of fees to the government.  Many farmers practice the same processes, but don't buy into the certification hoopla.  Find yourself a good local farmer to get veggies and meats if you're lucky.  Processed foods are a chemical ****storm.  Your entire family will benefit from clean eating.  They will just have larger portions.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/21/15 4:22 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have a 9 year old who is normal weighted due to a lot of effort on my part.  I live in the suburbs, but I grow a garden, can our vegetables, raise 5 chickens for eggs, and make everything from scratch while working nearly 90+ hours every week (to be fair, more than half are telecommuting)...

I have found that the "trick" to my son being a healthy eater is ME being a healthy eater.  I include him in the prep and planning of our food, compliment him constantly for "being the kind of kid who is cool and tries everything" and I purposefully brag (where he can overhear) about how he chooses healthy foods and is an adventurous eater.  Kids tend to live up to what you believe about them... and thus, my son truly is one of the healthiest eating kids his age that I know.

I eat protein forward with very few naturally occurring carbs.  Therefore, my son eats protein forward with more lenient amounts of naturally occurring carbs.  When he has a treat, he helps me portion it: we read the portion size on the bag or box -- talk about how many he'd eat if we hadn't read it and then portion out the amount very carefully by weight or number so that he can learn what a portion really is.  There are many times that my son now chooses not to get a certain snack because he knows the small portion size is ridiculous and would like more bang for his buck, so to speak.  For example, he can have 2 whole cups of lightly sea-salted popcorn for the same number of calories as 13 Doritos...

As far as organic goes -- I actually tend to simply buy local -- for example, I buy our milk from a local dairy.  I buy whole milk -- I use the cream to make our butter.  I recently started making our own greek yogurt and I use the whey to make ricotta or to feed our chickens and compost.  Later, I will use it to water my tomatoes.  I do try to buy hormone-free chicken (local chickens are way too expensive) and beef -- but truthfully, I can't always afford these luxuries.  We grow most of our own veggies in the summer -- but I also buy local veggies to can and freeze.  I am not convinced that organic is always better -- but I do usually buy root veggies and apples organic -- probably with no real benefit, but it makes me feel better.  :-)

I hope you find what works for your family and especially for your little boy who's a bit heavy right now.  I think you're likely to be his best ally by being a fine example to him.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/15 6:13 pm

Holy crap you do a lot. I think having your kids help with meal prep and planning does help. My kids are in normal weight and I have always tried to have healthy snacks in the house. 

Willie H.
on 5/22/15 6:19 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Thanks. Wow, you do a lot but I know it is worth it. Good idea to have my son enlightened as to what to eat, reading the labels, portions and so forth. He does know-from the nutritionist-that we want him on a diet where his blood sugar will not spike so the nutritionist recommended each meal as FPF (Fiber, Protein and Fat (good fats) focusing more of fiber and protein. Good suggestion to compliment him in making good food choices and the best example as you mentioned is how "I" eat. Thank you, good post.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/15 7:51 am

I would also tell your son that you need his help with your weight-loss journey. I used to hate going to the grocery store but now I like it. I enjoy reading labels. I know it sounds weird. I do like planning menus for the week. 

Gwen M.
on 5/21/15 6:08 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think the "organic is healthier" thing is a load of bull for the most part - see the links that others have posted.  

That said, I hate Monsanto and like to support local growers.  That's not a personal health choice but an environmental health choice.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 5/21/15 7:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Willie, I think one of the really big questions, whatever you decide, is whether or not your decision is one you can live with, potentially for life. Lots of people try vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, organic, paleo, etc, etc. But just like those that fall in love with the gym, it's often not something they can sustain.

I know that we make very few choices that truly are forever. But in this case it's worth asking yourself if it is at least a possibility. If that voice in the back of your head tells you you'll get tired of doing something in a few months, it's probably not for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Willie H.
on 5/22/15 6:31 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Very good words. So true-is it sustainable? No doubt it will have to be introduced gradually and in pieces. The key is that we all "live" a more healthy lifestyle to include activities and food that will continue. What's enjoyable is that since I've had the WLS we have as a family grown closer because I am able to participate more in doing things.

Also I don't want to go to the extreme and be like the alcoholic who finally became sober and now stands on a soap box to preach. But I am concerned about my 8 year old who is heavy and need to lose weight. So as you mentioned-I need a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable to us all and not a just a phase or a fad. -SOMETHING I am VERY familiar with!!! Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

seattledeb
on 5/21/15 10:42 pm

It may just be me but the turn "clean eating" always just ****** me off. It's judgey and undefined. What...am I "dirty" because something on the list of "clean" food? And by the way..that list seems to change and mean different things to different people.

I have friends that eat organic vegan foods only. It's a diet that takes a lot of cooking and/or a lot of money to buy. It's not a luxury for them to go to whole foods and spend 2x for food. I find it elitist and annoying.

Yes I think it's great to buy things close to where they are grown. I don't go to the local farmer's market though because it's too expensive. I go to the small Asian grocery where the produce is not lovingly arranged and frankly usually does not look "perfect", but it's cheaper and it tastes good.

My son was 8 when I had surgery. What changed for him was that there was not always cheetos,oreos,and ice cream in the house. Fortunately for me he is a weird kid that only eats when he's hungry so he's not ever been overweight. A big change was that we were out moving more.

Another thing I believe is one change only at a time. I want to trademark that. This nut is asking for a whole lot of changes which I think can lead to one feeling like a failure. 

Continued success to you and your family.

Deb T.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/22/15 5:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Nicely put. There are no Farmer's Markets or anything of the sort closer than an hour from me. The last farm disappeared before I was born. There is a Whole Foods about an hour away, but I can't afford to shop there. There aren't any small grocers either, just a few large chain supermarkets.

I've tried things like grass fed beef, lovingly raised by virgins and petted by leprechauns, but it tasted no different than the supermarket brands. Maybe it's healthier, but frankly I have the same degree of belief in that as I do in an all powerful and loving deity.

I could eat better, likely much better. But I eat a million times better than I used to, am far, far healthier, and I have zero interest in becoming a food snob. Some things in life are worth struggling to achieve perfection, some are not. 

Does eating clean make you live longer, or does it just seem longer?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.