Lump on ab and chronic pain issue

LisaAC
on 5/21/15 8:40 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hello, All!

I have not posted here in ages, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with this and can offer advice.

My background: I am 54 years old.  I had Laproscopic RnY back in late 2006.  It was successful, I healed up well, lost 160 lbs.  I developed Chronic/Late Stage Lyme Disease in 2008, when the illness went undiagnosed for nine months and my weight loss battle was strongly affected by my inability to exercise.  When I had to have my thyroid zapped in 2012 and it left me with hypothyroidism, I began to lose the battle quickly.  I ended up on the wrong thryoid med and it led me to gain 60+ lbs.  I have been fighting it, along with Fibro and Neuropathy caused by the Lyme.  I am at the 45-50 lbs over my goal state now, just hanging there.

The current issue: I have had awful pain in my left abdomen for over two years.  My doctors don't know why, even after x-rays, mri's, ct scans, ultrasounds.  My surgeon won't even see me for it, saying I should see a GI doctor.  GI doc is where I started exploring this!  One doc thinks it is just part of the Fibro pain - muscular.  It could be Lyme, which attacks every part of the body.  I don't know, but I know I can't go on living with this level of pain.  The meds I take for pain now are just ridiculous and I don't want to add any more - can't imagine my doc would allow it anyhow!

I have noticed this recurring lump immediately to the right of my left scar.  It's a slightly red, more soft than hard, and about the size of a dime.  Sometimes I don't see it and other times it is very prominent.  The worst abdominal pain is just to the lower left of this.  It feels like I could just reach in and pull it out.  I push against it and it burns like a hot knife.  When I stand and compare my waist on either side, the left feels oddly harder - something I have just noticed.

I plan to see my primary again, hopefully on May 28, when my husband has an appt.

But if anyone can offer me any wisdom, I would be grateful.

Thanks for reading all this!

Lisa

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/21/15 10:55 am

Beside everything else it is going on with you please Google SIBO, SIBO ~ fibromyalgia, SIBO - IBS.. 

I know it affects me. Searching for answers over 2 years i finally live pain free as long as i maintain very strict diet.  My quality of life improved. (Unless i eat something i know i should not)  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 5/21/15 9:23 am, edited 5/21/15 9:24 am - WI

Is it a pulling kind of pain, like a muscle pull in your abdomen?  Does it burn when you stretch or stand up?  If so, it could be that you have adhesions.  Some people who have had abdominal surgeries can develop scar tissue called adhesions,  They don't show up on x-rays, CAT scans, or MRI's.  The only way to find out if you have them is through exploratory surgery.  Sometimes they adhere to the abdominal wall or to internal organs and can cause a lot of pain.  Adhesions can also wrap themselves around your intestines causing a bowel obstruction.  They can clean them out surgically and the pain will stop, but there is always the chance that they will grow back.  

It could also be an internal hernia.  Hernias often don't show up on CAT scans either.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

LisaAC
on 5/22/15 5:04 am - Philadelphia, PA

Rocky, thank you!  I did not realize that adhesions didn't show up on these tests!  Jeez, that makes me Really angry that my surgeon refused to see me because there was "nothing" on a scan a couple years back,  I will talk to my doc about recommending a surgeon to check me out.  Thanks again!

Chilipepper
on 5/21/15 4:51 pm

I agree with Rocky. It sounds like a hernia. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

LisaAC
on 5/22/15 5:05 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks, All!  I appreciate the responses.