How bad is pain after surgery & the first month?

akanikkie
on 5/19/15 8:39 am
VSG on 04/27/15

I had little to no pain after my VSG.  It honestly just felt like I had cut myself on something on my stomach.  I took the pain meds a few times in the hospital and only once at home. I was able to sleep in my bed when getting home but had to take it easy when getting up and down from bed.  I was very tired the first few days so it was hard to get all the fluids in that I needed.  Each day things got better and better.

I think the other are right about following your doctor's advice regarding movement, pain meds etc.  Don't be afraid to ask for the meds if you think you need them.  That's what they are there for.  You know your body best.  Good luck!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Luvmygs
on 5/19/15 8:44 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I had the gastric sleeve surgery Dec 2015 and I had no pain, maybe a little sore from one of my incisions (nothing unbearable). But I was given some good pain meds to help feel a little more comfortable. The soreness only lasted about 3 days and I felt pretty good after that. This was nothing compared to my hysterectomy and this didn't even require an incision. But I was in pain after this surgery. Laparoscopic is much easier!

sandy80
on 5/19/15 3:09 pm

Wow that's amazing. Gastric sleeve is what I'm having too. I find out tomorrow if I passed his oh so detailed blood work. My problem is a result of severe illness and total inactivity but mostly years of med's that caused weight gain that I was not forewarned about. I'm 5'4 and maintained a healthy weight till I was slammed w/illness in one moment. I'm 156 and it just kept going up. This stomach has to go, it's in the way. I feel like a blimp. Everyone I've seen are double or triple my size. I wonder why they waited so long. I met a lady that had it a year ago and she's lost over 100. Then I saw her before pic's and was shocked. She looked like if you touched her she'd pop. Fat down to her wrists. Now she has her hair & nails done and has to buy new outfits. Just since I've known her I've watched her shrink. Had it not been for her,, I wouldn't have known insurance covers removal of loose lower stomach but not until 18 months point which they say is about the time you are where your going to stay. When I had surgery before, I had to slack off pain med's the 2nd or 3rd day so I could walk. Don't walk, they don't let you go home. My head was spinning from hitting that button for pain meds. I know to pump it up before I leave agan

sandy80
on 5/19/15 3:33 pm

That's what I'm to have. I wonder if everyone comes home w/ a drain? yuck. My knee's were on their last leg so to speak over 2 years ago from always sitting indian style at work all my life. I got down on them for a few seconds and have hurt so bad since. I'm 56 now,, and the surgeon said I was too young for knee replacement. Ha! I must use Voltaren gel 4x daily for less pain. The dr's secretary told me her knee's were severely bad but after surgery no issues at all. I want to avoid knee replacement because that is more painful that anything and takes a long time to heal. I can't walk but a little. Use the scooter at walmart, humiliating. Dr said every 5lbs on the stomach is another 7lbs on the knees. I knew my knees would go since my 20's but never expected it to be this painful. I try to make it to the mailbox every other day. Knee's, not weight but weight makes knee's worse. I to was scheduled for surgery Dec 14 to, you meant to say. I kept telling them they were parting ways w/my insurance starting Jan but they kept saying don't worry about it. Then they called screaming at me and canceled 36 hours before. Oh was I upset. I've taken over 2 years getting this done and so regret it now. Could have been wearing all the clothes in my closet. I just don't know what to eat other than greek yogurt w/fruit, steak, chicken, beans and that's about it. I'm sick of chicken and just getting hungry angers me. I do not like to eat much so I walk around pretty much starving. No one could imagine how little I eat to look at me. Even when I eat out I don't over eat. My hysterectomy was a shock. My family dr refused hormones because cancer runs in my family, so he referred me. During the exam my uterus was found enlarged and they ordered an ultrasound. Ouch! then a biopsy and I sat there so scared. I leaned fast I should have said no, not while I'm awake. It was so painful. I'd gone from 2006 to 2009 w/no period. Thought I was free. Then bleed 21 days and a couple days flooded. Then the cramps started, so bad I was sitting on my legs. Nothing helped. Always said I'd never have one because I saw Mom mourning & groaning afterwards but she doesn't remember it. The Dr said it was only going to get worse and had to come out. I was scared but by the time they gave me a date, I was ready to run not walk. I was bent over in pain. I begged for a vaginal but they said uterus was too large. I saw them on you tube and the uterus changes shape better than a baby to come out so it had to be huge. About to turn into cancer. Being cut wide open made it worse. When I sat awhile and went to get up it was super tight. Took a long time and a tad of movement at a time to get up. My bed is a little high so I slept in the recliner. I was in misery mostly because I couldn't get in my bed.  If you see an elderly lady who appears to be missing a little of her core and leans somewhat, they had one. Somehow our female parts support out body. I can spot one right away. It happens over time

sandy80
on 5/19/15 3:47 pm

Thanks to everyone that responded. What a great group of people here. Thank you so much, you have really eased my mind.

Doublewide66
on 5/20/15 12:24 am, edited 5/20/15 12:26 am
RNY on 03/13/15

Everyone is different. I had no pain from the wls itself but I did have knee pain from my constant walking. But even that has gone away thanks to the loss of a few lbs good luck and remember the pain is well worth the reward 😎

sandy80
on 5/20/15 2:55 pm

My knee pain is pretty bad now. Always sat Indian style at work and knew in my 20's I was ruining them. Got on my knee's a few seconds 2 years ago and the next day I could hardly walk and the pain was very severe. Then the other one went. Can't walk much at all and sick of it. Dr said every 5lbs in the stomach is an extra 7lbs on the knee's. Secretary said hers were really bad till she lost the weight. I'm praying for the same results. Knee replacement is extremely painful and takes a good 6 months of painful therapy. I do not want to go though that. Saw the dr today after blood work and now have to see the shrink which I think is stupid but have to go along. This dr has me keeping a food diary and have to come in monthly, $45 a pop & I'm on disability so I hate that. After surgery I can understand it. Shrink makes her own appointments and didn't call back today, hope tomorrow. No telling how backed up she is. Then they submit it all to insurance for approval. I'll be lucky to have the surgery before the end of summer. Dr said no but it's so slow. Slower than the dr I started out with. I was scheduled in Dec and kept telling them they weren't taking my insurance after the 1st. They said don't worry about it. Then called  screaming at me. Guess the Dr was looking ahead and skinned them alive so they took it out on me. I should be 5 months in now. Better late than never. Thanks

robinreinhardt
on 5/20/15 3:21 pm

Sandy,

I am a wimp too. Had no pain after I came home from hospital. I had a RNY. What are you having?

Robin

sandy80
on 5/20/15 3:57 pm

Just gastric bypass. Looking for recipes, not looking good. I'm so picky and don't like most foods. I'll be one of those that end up sick for not eating good although I plan to really commit to it. Raised in the South, used to southern foods. I'll eat out a few times before surgery as a going away gift lol Don't eat much at home and quit cooking. I hate getting hungry cause what to eat now is a challenge. Can't cook much and cooking for one is crazy. Don't know how I cooked for up to 5 people for years. Everything was fried. Even when I eat out which is rare, I never stuff myself.

robinreinhardt
on 5/20/15 4:47 pm

I'm picky too. I still do my protein shakes cuz I'm so picky.

when is your surgery? Good luck my friend. Robin