How bad is pain after surgery & the first month?

sandy80
on 5/18/15 7:51 pm

My pain threshold is zilch. Wondering how bad the pain is after surgery and how long it's bad once you get home? I know everyone is different but I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. Thanks

MickeyDee
on 5/18/15 8:48 pm

You've answered your own question.  The surgeon will send you home with pain meds and you'll use them as directed which is often "as needed for pain".

sandy80
on 5/18/15 10:54 pm

Thanks, but that much I know. When I was cut from one end to the other for a hysterectomy I couldn't sleep in my bed. It was firm and a bit high. I spent 2 months in a recliner, not easy when your a side sleeper. I had strong pain meds' then. The more I healed the more the pain med's made me sick. Had to move half an inch at a time to get up because the cut would get so tight and you know they moved so muc of your insides around. Takes awhile for things to settle into place. But, having my whole stomach sliced could be worse, could be not as bad as the former. Did you have trouble sleeping the usual way? getting up and down? bending over? things like that. I guess it'll be about the same

Manana
on 5/19/15 3:50 am

Everyone is different. I had very little pain. My shoulders were sore the day of surgery and that's the only time I took pain meds. I still have a completely full prescription of whatever the dr. gave me up in the cabinet.  Just remember follow your drs. advice. If he says to get up get moving, do it! You will be less sore if you move than if you lay around. Good luck!

Kate -True Brit
on 5/19/15 5:30 am - UK

Unless I have missed it, you haven't told us which surgery you are having, that makes an anormous difference! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

auntmimi
on 5/19/15 5:52 am

Depends on your pain threshold. I had Laproscopic RNY. I am a tough one, so by that evening I was up walking the halls. Slowly. By the next morning I had bathed myself and was up walking around. I had pain but it was manageable. My biggest pain was gas pains that just had to work their way out. 

iloveravens
on 5/19/15 6:13 am
RNY on 08/13/14

For me the pain was manageable with pain meds, especially in the hospital where you get the good stuff :) I found that as long as I kept on top of it, I was fine when I got home.  For example, I'd take something about 15 mins before showering so I'd have it my system to get through showering & getting dressed.  Childbirth is worse if that helps...LOL

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

sandy80
on 5/19/15 3:46 pm

I did in 1979 don't laugh. No epidermal back then. I sat up ready to leave but not like it was going to make it stop. I would hope it's not near as painful as that. That's the worse. Yeah I forgot it when I saw my son, but still I'll never forget it. Don't know how some have half a dozen. They'd have to knock me out. I have a shower chair because my knee's & back hurt so bad. Have a new hand held shower head that should have been in last week, but I can't get the old one off so I'm going to have to ask a neighbor for some muscle. I've seen the beds and they are huge, lol. At least it won't be like my last stay. Who can manage a twin along w/a bed tray? Kept hitting the call button and had to say, sorry

Kiwideb
on 5/19/15 6:53 am
VSG on 01/19/15

My insides hurt very little after the second or third day - only when I bent or twisted a way I shouldn't. The main bit that caused me trouble was the drain site. Not that it hurt badly, just that it was easy to yank on and give you that 'idiot, don't do that' moment. 

Now, feeling achy and stiff, oh yeah. For about 3 weeks, but I ended up with pneumonia so getting up and moving was a bit beyond me for a week there. That is not the usual case of things from what I see on these boards and from support group.

sandy80
on 5/19/15 3:36 pm

You made me laugh even though it's not funny at all, pain. I was told by another patient I will not feel like eating for a long time but had to force it. I can't imagine not be so hungry all the time. Hope my grocery bill goes down, but expect the special vitamins will make up for it since they are so expensive. I've yet to get into searching for the cheapest ones yet. Thank you