question about drinks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/18/15 7:33 am - OH

Soda isn't a healthy choice, for many reasons (it is nothing but chemicals, it is acidic, and some studies show that it may cause issues with calcium levels) and you certainly wouldn't want to drink anything but diet soda, but only you can determine whether or not you will allow yourself to drink it. Some surgeons ask their patients to give it up permanently.  Of the rest of the surgeons, most suggest waiting six months or so.  So at only 3 months out, I would say no.

Some people find that, after not having had any in a number of months, they dislike the taste of it. Some people find that the carbonation causes discomfort in their pouch/sleeve, and many people -- even if they pour it over ice to cut the carbonation (as I do) -- find that it causes a lot of burping and/or gas.

Do NOT, however, believe the nonsense about it stretching your pouch/sleeve.  That is rubbish that would defy the laws of Physics.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Willie H.
on 5/18/15 9:55 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I still have cravings for a diet coke about every 3 weeks which I will have. I cannot drink a large one though so I have to get the 12 ounce can and drink it slowly over time although it makes me feel full and bloated . Yet I know that artificial sweeteners are not good for you so it's another vice or habit I have to eradicate completely. I've had two beers since my surgery in August and it is just not the same. I used to like having a beer every so often if I was invited to a friends or out to dinner but now I cannot even drink 8 oz-and it is just not the same, makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable. Probably a good idea that we should not really have alcohol until a year out. All carbonated drinks kind of make you feel the same-bloated and uncomfortable. Probabl ya good idea to just not include in our diet at all. 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Han Shot First
on 5/18/15 3:53 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I think kicking my Diet Dew and Coke Zero addiction before surgery was the hardest part of this whole process!  I won't let myself have any, because I'm afraid of getting hooked again.

My indulgence is Cherry Kool-Aid drops.  I make up 64 oz of it before work, and I have it gone by 2:30.  It definitely helps me get my liquids in for the day.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Eggface
on 5/19/15 7:59 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I have had carbonation a few times post-op and it physically hurts me... I have a bunch of post-op pals that drink it with no discomfort so YMMV but it's instant pouch area pain for me... I never was a pop, soda drinker pre-op so I thankfully it was one that was easy to give up. A few sips of champagne NYE now is about all I get... and this year I didn't even do that.

The only way I use it now is I'll take a diet root beer and use it to make a root beer protein ice cream http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/07/root- beer-float-protein-ice-cream.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MsBatt
on 5/19/15 9:11 am

Go to your profile and enter youor surgery type and date. Then it will show up each time you post. This info helps us help you.

newslim2015
on 5/20/15 11:11 am

I only drink soda...ONLY IF Im at a social meeting and there's nothing else to drink, lot of carbs in them...I rather save it for special occasion and have a scotch withI only drink soda... IF and ONLY IF I’m at a social meeting and there's nothing else to drink, lots of carbs in them... I rather save it for a special occasion and have a scotch with sprinkling water…lol CHEERS!!! water.

newslim2015
on 5/20/15 11:58 am

Don't back up, go for it, imagine all the things you are going to have to skip with your daughter if you don't (sports, outdoor activities, running, playing, etc.), plus, if you do this, your lifestyle will change, you will become a healthier person and that's a great example for her... but the most important thing here... you'll be there for her for a long long time.... I send you my blessing!!!