Protiens when Lactose Intolerant

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 12:10 pm - Reno, NV

I have a band failure, and am looking into the sleeve. When I found out my band slipped, they removed all the liquid. I have been LI for some time, but it's never been too bad. Since the liquid was removed, it has been horrible. I get horrible gas pains, and they just sit there, they last for hours. I have started taking Lactaid and it has helped. My questions is, is there a protein that is Lactose free?  And what snack can you recommend since cheese and yogurt are pretty much out for me? I have always struggled with snacking option, so anything would help. Thank you.

Kimber_CH
on 5/18/15 12:30 pm - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

Hi Amanda, 

I am also lactose intolerant. Have you tried taking lactase when you eat dairy. you can get it from your local chemist. They are different strengths, you will need to find what works for you. If I eat straight dairy I need to take 2 lactase pills. with other foods that have milk in it or might have the possibility I take 1. I have a severe case of it but still eat my yogurt and cheese. You might also look for lactose free products. Most of the protein drinks I get here are lactose free, so they say , but I always take my lactase as it is from milk whey. I hope this helps.

cheers Kimberly 

jenorama
on 5/18/15 12:49 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

There are several non-milk based proteins out there.  There are egg white base ones, vegan and beef-based.  I've used the liquid Muscle Egg and the Carnivor beef-based ones.  I've tried a sample package of a vegan one, but I didn't like it.  Jay Robb also has a powder egg-white formula.  My husband is highly milk-intolerant and does fine with the Carnivor powder.  For snacks, jerky and nuts might be a good option for you.  

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 1:50 pm - Reno, NV

Thank you so much!! That does help. I just need ideas so I don't get bored and fall back into old habits.

rocky513
on 5/18/15 2:47 pm - WI

Whey Isolate protein powder is 99% lactose free.  Read the labels.  If it says whey concentrate in the ingredients, it contains lactose.  You can mix them with water, unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, or (my new favorite) cashew milk.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sandra F.
on 5/19/15 6:06 am

Old Wisconsin turkey sausage bites is another great option.