Just Starting My Journey

Misten M.
on 5/17/15 10:41 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/27/15

Hi, everybody!  I've lurked off and on while deciding if WLS is right for me.  After two years of hesitation and research, I'm ready to do it.  Started the program at UTSW in Dallas, TX, and surgery should be in July at some point.  I'm all over the board emotionally - happy, apprehensive, excited, curious, dreading recovery, etc etc.  Tips from anyone on your pre-surgery phase would be appreciated.  I've got to start changing my dietary habits now, and have set a start date for tomorrow.  I know I will fall off the wagon, but those tips from you guys are sure to help.  The doc said, "I can't control what you eat, but we can control how much you eat."  That one is a good place to start.  :-)

Hislady
on 5/17/15 5:24 pm - Vancouver, WA

My 2 best pieces of advice are be patient because nothing is going to go as fast as you want it to specially the weight loss. It usually goes in stair step fashion and will drive you crazy. So be patient with yourself and others.

Second piece of advice is when you do fall of the wagon get right back on. Don't think oh well I blew it, may as well just eat that whole bag of chips, carton of ice cream and finish off that cake now! Nope get right back on track next meal or snack. Instead of the other thought train think well I blew it at lunch but for snack I'm gonna have a meat and cheese roll and get right back in the game! It is those very simple small things that will make all the difference when you put them all together! Good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/15 6:59 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Great advice about falling off the wagon! As my mom says, just because you get one flat tire doesn't mean you need to slash the other three.  :)

AngryViking
on 5/18/15 9:43 am
RNY on 07/17/14

Oooh, I like this.

Manana
on 5/18/15 4:47 am

I had to do a 6 month program before surgery because of my insurance. For the first 5 months I as great! Pretty much doing what my dietician said...with the occasional "flat tire"  But then after the 6th month point where they started planning the surgery and telling me what to expect and actually setting a date, my emotions went crazy!  Do I really want to do this? Do I want to alter my eating for the rest of my life? Is it going to hurt? Am I going to die? I mean they went EVERY WHERE!  So finally surgery day came and every thing went smoothly. I wasn't in much pain. I took pain pills the day of surgery and none after and that was because my shoulders hurt not my stomach. Apparently on some people they stretch their arms above their head during surgery??? Anyway it went way better than I had imagined in my head and now I am losing weight, feeling better, have more  energy and pretty much glad I did it. I am 4 weeks post op.  I think the feelings you're having are perfectly normal.

SJb41976
on 5/18/15 11:03 am
DS on 02/29/16

@memilligan so you are having a revision? You had a VSG in 2012, what will you be revising to? I had VSG with Dr. Kim in 2010. I am looking into VSG to DS revision.

Good luck!

Misten M.
on 5/18/15 9:23 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/27/15

Hey!  No revision.  I had the VSG scheduled in 2012 and then backed out.  Sorry, I need to update my profile.  :-)