New to weight loss surgery need advice

kimmrs2026
on 5/15/15 4:19 pm

Ive decided to have surgery my class is on the 21st how long after that do i have before i can go in for surgery?

jaxie77
on 5/15/15 5:49 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey , 

Congratulations on taking the first step to getting healthier ! Where are you located ? I'm in Southern Ontario , and my process began with orientation at Humber River Hospital in Toronto . From that day ,which was in January 2014 , it was just under a year . I had surgery in December 2014 . However,I was referred by my Family doctor in the previous September.  

After my Orientation class , I waited about 3 months for my first appointment. Then I was cleared for surgery in July, and given my date in September. ..I think ! 

However , I ended up having surgery at Toronto Western due to my surgeon ( Dr Klien ) being severely backlogged . So some of us were transfered ( just for the actual surgery part ) over to TWH . So , like I say , I think it depends on what centre you go through , what surgeon you have , what type of tests they have you do and how you get on during your psych evaluation etc .

Going by the majority of cases in Ontario that I have seen on this forum , the average wait time seems to be about a year , could be longer or shorter give or take a few months . Some call in and ask for cancellations of appointments which helps move the process along . My advice to that would be , not to ru**** too much . I really found that my attitude , habits and overall actual knowledge of what I was actually about to do to my self and the rest of my life , were helped immensly just by using that time to research and learn and feel good about my decision . 

These boards are fantastic , so much knowledge and support here . Stick around and read , ask as many questions as you like and prepare yourself for an awesome life change ! 

Good luck 

Jax x

kimmrs2026
on 5/15/15 6:32 pm

Tank you Ive been looking into this for a couple years now its something I want and need to do. I live in Minnesota. All I know is after my class next week i have to fill out paperwork and send it to my surgeon. From that point I have no idea. I sure hope it is sooner than a year but if that is what it takes then that is what ill do thank you again  

Grim_Traveller
on 5/15/15 7:25 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Different insurance plans have different requirements. Then primary care docs can have some requirements, and surgeons, their programs, and hospitals can have their own hoops to jump through. I've seen everything from two weeks to over a year. You'll find out as you go along. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

kimmrs2026
on 5/16/15 7:40 am

Thank you im excited to get this going it seems like i spent to much time looking up everything and i should have started this earlier. Once ive made up my mind i just want to get it done so I can move on 

kimmrs2026
on 5/16/15 7:42 am

The other question I have is what is the best way of getting protein I have herd everything from protein power to grinding up meat but it seems nobody agrees on this 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/16/15 12:52 pm - UK
On May 16, 2015 at 7:42 AM Pacific Time, kimmrs2026 wrote:

The other question I have is what is the best way of getting protein I have herd everything from protein power to grinding up meat but it seems nobody agrees on this 

Really not something to worry about yet! It depends not only on your own doctor's plan but also on which surgery you have, 

Most people start with protein shakes for the early post-op stage (not all, I didn't) but after that it is usually possibie to get enough protein from your normal food. Some people continue to have them forever! But the stage of needing foods to be puréed or minced is quite short, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kimmrs2026
on 5/16/15 1:00 pm

that is great to know im anemic too but its more due to the fact my body does not process vit b12 so i have shots once a week to make it easier but keeping my protein intake is something i will have to keep in mind durring this quest.

MsBatt
on 5/19/15 9:32 am

The *best* way to get protein is to eat animal flesh and animal-derived foods like eggs, cheese, milk, etc. How easily you'll be able to do this will depend on several factors---which form of WLS you choose, how far out from surgery you are, and your individual reaction to surgery.

Right now, what you need to be focusing on is learning everything you possibly can about the different forms of WLS. There are basically four---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Each works in a different way, gives somewhat different results, and asks different things from you. You need to figure out which one has 'rules' that you can most happily comply with for the rest of your life, because compliance equals long-term success.

You also need to look at how each procedure will affect any health concerns you may have, or have a family history of. For instance, the RNY will make it far more risky for you to take NSAIDs (Google them---you'll be amazed at how many things contain NSAIDs), but is probably your best bet if you suffer from GERD. If you're unwilling or unable to take vitamins and minerals daily, then don't consider either the RNY or the DS---they both cause permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. If you have diabetes or high cholesterol, the DS is the surgery type with the best stats for curing or preventing those conditions.

Knowledge is power. (*grin*)

kimmrs2026
on 5/19/15 9:45 am

Thank you so much i have been taking med classes so i have access to alot of information and yet i still go to the utube vids to get alot of my information i have been reading and thinking about this for a year now and still i have decided against the sleeve and lap band so im looking into the other 2 now. All information is usfull and wanted I start my class this week then turn my packet into my surgeon. then i will have to have my ducks in a row.