questions?

traci827
on 5/15/15 9:31 am

I am 5' and weigh about 190 lbs. I have no real issues related to my weight other than unhappy with appearance. Could I still qualify for surgery and if no, my current insurance company BCBS of FLA doesn't cover it. Can I find a new company and purchase a separate policy to cover it?

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/15/15 12:46 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

That is a question that really only a surgeon and an insurance company could answer. There are multiple variables involved in whether or not a person gets approved and nobody here can really answer that. You have a 37 BMI. Most insurances require a 40 without comorbidities and a 35 with.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/15/15 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

As far as individual approval for surgery, that would be a question for a potential surgeon. You can find this out by attending a clinic seminar, or by contacting a doctor's office.

I haven't heard of any insurance company that will cover BMI of 35 - 39 without comorbidity (sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that you would be able to find a different insurance company that would cover your surgery.

If insurance won't cover it, but a surgeon will perform the procedure on you, it's possible to pay out of pocket. Some patients opt to have surgery in Mexico, where self-pay costs are generally lower.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jgreenlee12
on 5/16/15 4:02 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I dont know what to think any more. I work for the state of florida. My BMI was 44 with no co-morbidities. Mine was covered. there are 3 ladies that i work with that wanted surgery. 2 of them are obviously overweight and i would have thought for sure would qualify but they were denied and the one who looked like she might have needed to lose 30 pounds was approved and had surgery.  You just have to try and see.