Gastroparesis

dlogan2727
on 5/16/15 3:29 pm

I am new to this forum and have my surgery scheduled for June 11th  2015.  I was wondering if anyone on here has had the Gastric Bypas for a condition known as Gastroparesis ????  I would like to be able to talk to others with the same condition and what I can expect after surgery...

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/16/15 7:21 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Try posting on the rny forum for more answers, also use the search button in the upper rt hand corner by the hour glass, this question might have been asked about in the past.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sandy80
on 5/18/15 12:23 pm

I have this too. Dr said surgery would not change it. My family dr said this means food is not moved though the stomach as it should be. I'd get super bloated after a tiny piece of food so that made sense. Weight dr said it's the nerve above the anus doesn't work. So, after years I looked it up again and he was wrong. The condition will remain the same not matter the size of your stomach. I put granules in my coffee every am to keep things moving. I get mine as a prescription, dirt cheap. If I don't use it, everything stops moving. It got to the point of nothing in and nothing out right before I got the test results. Dr said my test results was the worst he'd ever seen. So, when it comes to other conditions, these dr's do not know it all. I will still have to use this stuff. I have Reglan, the only known drug that works but I only take it when I get bloated. It can cause droopy mouth if taken daily. I talked w/a lady that was taking it as a liquid and she showed me how thick her tongue was and said it changed her speech. I to was hoping the surgery would take it away but it won't.

Tracy D.
on 5/19/15 12:37 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My 18-month old grandchild has gastroparesis so I"ve become an unofficial expert over the last 12 months.  The condition occurs because the vagus nerve has been damaged.  Sometimes that happens through diabetes and other times it gets damaged during a surgical procedure (which is what happened with our baby). 

Since gastric bypass doesn't repair the damaged vagus nerve I'm not sure why it would help in this situation.  In my grandchild's case they suggestedcertain medications (like the OP discussed) and also discussed implanting a device that stimulates the stomach. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15