Gas. I had my surgery in January and can stop burping. Has anyone experienced this?

Pba3404
on 5/12/15 6:25 pm - Wallington, NJ

I had my surgery January 15, 2015 and I am experiencing very bad gas pains in my upper diaphragm area. Has anyone experienced this post surgery.

NYMom222
on 5/12/15 9:11 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes at about 3-4 months out I went through burping all the time and it lasted like 2 months. I was also having some pain after eating... partially I think because even though I've slowed down my eating, I still eat too fast. Surgeon had me take my PPI twice a day for a month, and that did help.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Pba3404
on 5/13/15 4:52 pm - Wallington, NJ

What is PPI?

NYMom222
on 5/13/15 8:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I forget what PPI exactly stands for but it is prescription prilosec/omeprezole... controls the acid.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kathkeb
on 5/13/15 10:49 pm

PPI is Proton pump inhibitor, a class of drugs that control acid production, basically.

I used to take Omeprazole (over the counter) 40 mg per day.

I was recently switched to prescription pantaprazole ...40 mg per day.  I don't notice a difference except the OTC was costing me about 30.00 a month and the RX cost me 2.00

Ask your doctor if you can or should start one.

Kath

Tammy H.
on 5/13/15 4:42 am - Greenville, OH

I never had gas that long...Have you talked to your doctor/surgeon about it?  If not, you might want to do so.

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

phred
on 5/13/15 9:08 am - CO

Veni, Vidi, Flati!

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

gram247
on 5/13/15 11:42 am

yes. I am almost 4 years out and still have that problem at times. 

I use Gas-X , a simethicon product either in pill form or strips that dissolve on the tongue. I had a hard time relearning how to eat to avoid swallowing air and then being unable to eat anything. 

Talk to your doc about this and see what he recommends. 

Good luck.

Pba3404
on 5/13/15 4:54 pm - Wallington, NJ

Gram247:  what do you mean learn to eat without taking in too much air?

gram247
on 5/13/15 5:35 pm

I had to take small bites, chew slowly and thoroughly. No gulping of food. No drinking during dinner except for an occasional sip of hot tea to moisten anything too dry. I find that this also relaxes me so I can eat my allotted food. 

I used to eat very fast so I could always get more. Now I am the last to finish. I learned to savor what I eat. This sometimes is difficult if we are out to dinner and everyone is done & I still have most of my food on my plate. By now most of my family & friends know what is going on and also, I have no qualms about having half my dinner packed up to go.